posted on 24/9/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust wrap

Hi all i am looking for tips on how to fit exhaust wrap
is it best to start at the engine or the other end
how much over lap etc
my wrap is 50mm wide
thank's
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goaty

posted on 24/9/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
not sure on overlap but i know you wet it so you can stretch it on better.
Would imagine 8mm-ish of overlap but sure someone knows more.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/9/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
1/4 inch overlap.
flak monkey

posted on 24/9/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I overlap mine half of its width. So you essentially end up with a double layer all the way along.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Davey D

posted on 24/9/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
my exhaust wrap is 50mm, and I've done about 20mm of overlap so the wrap ends up twice as thick giving more heat protection

Flamez

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Start at engine end. use plastic tie wraps until its all in place the replace with metal ones [mine were single use only] also it stated that do not pre-soak black tape.

my build mac1motorsports

MautoK

posted on 24/9/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I used the big roll from CBS and had about a foot left over. The tape goes from the flange to just outside the bonnet (MK stainless headers)
I wetted the tape before wrapping it and overlapped about half the width. I think it's recommended to wear latex gloves or similar when handling the tape.
Be advised that it smokes furiously and gives off quite acrid fumes as it cooks.
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

BenB

posted on 24/9/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used a 10mm overlap. Used dry. Big jubilee clips.

No problems so far....

MakeEverything

posted on 24/9/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I wrapped the LCB header on my mini, and when i had finished building the engine, i started it up in the garage, and it smoked me out, big time.

It smells like roasting wheat, with a bit of fibreglass thrown in and it sttays in the back of your throat all day!

Overlap by 50% to get a continuous double thickness all the way along for best (tidiest) results. If not done properly, it looks messy.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MautoK

posted on 24/9/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
After fitting the tape I ran the engine for a minute or so and, as expected, there was loads of water vapour dirven off. So that's it dry, I thought, now just take it for a spin....
Just as I got to the town centre (about 400 yards from home) was when the tape went into 'cook' mode and started smoking and smelling...
Did get some rather strange looks....people thinking 'that car's about to blow up'
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

David Jenkins

posted on 24/9/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was taking mine for its first outing, pre-sva, officially for an MOT. Got a mile or two up the road but had to stop cos I thought my engine had caught fire! Smoke billowing out from under the bonnet...

...took the bonnet off, coughed a lot, then put it back on when everything stopped smoking.

miikae

posted on 24/9/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I used white 50mm half lapped , VHT (white)on the pipes first then more on the tape when its all done , as it helps to seal those nasty fibre glass bits in that end up everywhere. I think i used about 15 mtrs in all.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 25/9/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
wet the wrap before fitting it,so it streches, so when hot it tightens
Gergely

posted on 25/9/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
We put it on soaked in a bucket before for a half an hour. Overlapped about 20mm, started at the engine end. Used stainless jubilee clips to hold it in place. Smoked on the first run, nicely...
Make sure that you wear long sleeve top and elbow length nylon gloves, mask and most importantly glasses. If the stuff gets in your eye, that will have to be removed surgically... You will be threading meters of the stuff and it will be flapping all over the place...
Gergely

Our build pictures

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.