Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X-flow megasquirt conversion, now need to make an air box
myeates

posted on 27/10/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
X-flow megasquirt conversion, now need to make an air box

hi after lots of help from people on here and a trip to the TorqueTune rolling road near newark my car is now running fantastic the engine is a 1.3 xflow with no other mods other than the injection it was producing 55bhp with the carb and is now managing 75bhp megasquirt powered its a nice improvement and very happy didnt expect to get that much extra

i had a set of filter socks on and the power was reduced to 65bhp so set up without them, so what i plan to do is put an airbox on with a single K&N air filter at the front as was told that it would not restrict the airflow as much as the socks.

what size K&N should i put on and how big should the air box be and how far away from the trumpets. have not got that much room underneath the front trumpet is about 70mm from the inside of the bonnet and dont fancy chopping the bonnet again my plan was to take the air filter under the nose cone with a couple of cold air feeds to it infront of the radiator would this be ok and would i be able to make a suitable airbox that would not restrict flow too much in the space i have?

thanks all

Mark

[Edited on 27/10/09 by myeates]

BenB

posted on 27/10/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Over a third extra BHP from going EFi and you're not satisfied!!! That's an amazing improvement. Hope I get that many extra horses % when my conversion is done.....

Definately go for cool air feed. I'd go for the traditional slant plenum chamber with the open end near the scuttle but run a nice cool air feed line from in front of the rad in the nose cone straight into the plenum (perhaps with some air dams to force air into the tube). Either that or use a NACA duct in the middle of the bonnet with a tube going to the plenum chamber (bit of a faff when you add / remove the bonnet unless you use some dinky connectors).

BenB

posted on 27/10/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Usual rules of thumb

1) plenum chamber at least 1-1.5x engine capacity

2) minimum distance from end of trumpet to far plate of plenum chamber = throttle body I/D (choke size for carbs)

will121

posted on 27/10/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Usual rules of thumb

1) plenum chamber at least 1-1.5x engine capacity

2) minimum distance from end of trumpet to far plate of plenum chamber = throttle body I/D (choke size for carbs)

thats the basis i used for a two litre, made a sealed fibreglass one around a foam plug which was good enough for 150bhp, but would think to be praticable to make may need to be bigger than 1-1.5x 1300cc

BenB

posted on 27/10/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly carving foam + GRP / CF is a nice easy way of making a plenum. I did the same to make my K+N to Honda airbox adaptor. Quite simple really...
myeates

posted on 27/10/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Over a third extra BHP from going EFi and you're not satisfied!!! That's an amazing improvement. Hope I get that many extra horses % when my conversion is done.....

more than happy meant in the terms of 75bhp thats lower than some of the others on here im thrilled with the extra the car is a different animal

myeates

posted on 27/10/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
so my TB are 38mm so if i make it 45mm out from the end of the trumpet and approx 2 litres in size so its just over 1.5 x 1300cc then thats a good starting point?

it may have been a long old slog to get it this far but with the added power and economy its deffinatly worth the money and wait

clairetoo

posted on 27/10/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Your TB's are actually 35mm - early Gpz1100 - but I would still go with 45mm if you have the space .
I'd try and get at least 3" hose to the filter - that will act as increased volume for the plenum .
Great result with the horsepower increase

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

myeates

posted on 27/10/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Great that's right it's the outside that I'd 38 lol

Wouldn't even have them looking that tidy and started the engine if it wasn't for your help a few weeks ago so thanks very much for you help

gives me something to do this weekend lol

Mark

MikeRJ

posted on 27/10/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
What a great result! Goes to prove just how crap those filter socks are as well; if they knocked 10bhp of your pretty standard 1.3 xflow then they must be crucifying the power when fitted to tuned 2.0L engines etc.
purdy

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
here's one we made earlyer.........B&Q sq to round also ali flexi duct to suit so simple.......

Who would of thorght b&Q would actualy have somthing that worked....

purdy Rescued attachment DSC00187.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00187.JPG

purdy

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
rs2000 16v with dare i say it.....b&Q airbox bwahahaaha Rescued attachment DSC00186.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00186.JPG

bi22le

posted on 27/10/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hey I may be building an air filter for a BEC in the near future. Could you take photos of the process. This foam calving + GRP seems interesting.

Im thinking:
1) Make a foam calve of what you want the INSIDE shape to be.
2) Cover the foam in something to stop it sticking to the GRP glue stuff
3) Once its set break the foam up and get it out. Make sure its all out!
4)Spray or finish however.
5) cut holes and fit bits that need to be fitted.

Sound about right?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

will121

posted on 27/10/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Hey I may be building an air filter for a BEC in the near future. Could you take photos of the process. This foam calving + GRP seems interesting.

Im thinking:
1) Make a foam calve of what you want the INSIDE shape to be.
2) Cover the foam in something to stop it sticking to the GRP glue stuff
3) Once its set break the foam up and get it out. Make sure its all out!
4)Spray or finish however.
5) cut holes and fit bits that need to be fitted.

Sound about right?

i didnt take pictures of the process of when i made mine, but the principal of what you discribed was basically it. I used building insulation which was like dense foam 75mm thick sheet which could be easily cut, sanded and filled to shape. I then wrapped with a release clingfilm type sheet which went a bit saggy though. finally covered in 3 layers of glass and a final tissue to give a decent finish surface. then just dug/cut out the foam plug. job done.

myeates

posted on 28/10/09 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
its a fantastic result really happy about it thanks for all your replies will start making an airbox this weekend saves running the engine without any air filters

Now does someonw want to buy any pipercross fliter socks lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.