Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5VY R1 Charcoal Canister pipes???
Gergely

posted on 29/10/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
5VY R1 Charcoal Canister pipes???

Hi, I have two pipes that come from No. 1 and 4 throttle bodies, are linked with a T piece and originally - looking at various pictures in the service manual - were connected to a charcoal canister to avoid fuel vapour entering the atmosphere. Apparently this is only done for California models. I know that our original engine was an american one, so it might be a Californian one.
My question is: What should I do with these pipes? Simply connect the two without the T piece and that's it?
Currently I fitted a simple, cheap plastic filter on the T piece, but i am afraid that it sucks in some air there which might upset the fuel/air ratio.
(The Power Commander is not set up yet, I am going on a rolling road soon, but obviously would want the pipes to be in their final state when on the rolling road to make sure that the Power Commander is set up correctly).
So, just connecvt the two hoses together? Or plug them? Or keep the small fuel filter?
Thanks for any info!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 29/10/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Blank them off.
Charcoal canisters are normally controled by a solenoid, so that they only draw the gasses from the canister into the throttles under circumstances when it won't affect the engine. Without the canister and control you don't want any air entering there. It'll just make those 2 cylinders run (very) weak.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Gergely

posted on 29/10/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! Your response confirms what I thought, too. Great help!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.