Author: Subject: Lump of Ally in oil take off filter
Major Stare

posted on 29/10/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Lump of Ally in oil take off filter

See link and pics.....CLICKY

Jon "FISH"

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
What do you recon it is? A small gear tooth? looks like it’s taken quite a whack to going by the scrapes.

[Edited on 29/10/09 by Mr Whippy]

[Edited on 29/10/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 29/10/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Tricky to identify as it's taken a bit of a battering. My £1 is on part of one of the sidecases (clutch cover?) where one of the fixing bolts pass through. Not too much of a pain to check?? Doubt it's a gear tooth given that it's ally.......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
if the surface is curved, can you work out the rough diameter of the component it came from, as above that would tell you if it came from the clutch

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

gixermark

posted on 29/10/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
looks like a piece of the clutch basket possibly ?? i.e. with teh small marks on the side looks like what you'd get where the clutch plates grab onto the 'fingers' of the clutch basket ??
contaminated

posted on 29/10/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks too thick to be the case here, but I recently had the same thing on a zetec. It was the end of the dipstick!
Gergely

posted on 29/10/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
You know, it looks suspiciously the same as the pieces of ally we have found everywhere in the car when our 5VY threw a rod due to oil starvation and it broke the block...
The signs of abuse on the side of the pieces, the scratches, the thickness, everything...
Could it be that your engine has been put together from several engines? Could it possibly be that a broken engine's parts have been used, and by accident a small piece of ally got in there? Check the oil you have drained, see if there are any more pieces of metal, even tiny ones in there...
Follow the advice of the others, check everything carefully, but if you had a 100% reliable engine wih no oil, water loss, good power, it would seem strange that such a piece is missing from the engine without effect...
Good luck!
Gergely

Our build pictures

afj

posted on 29/10/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
well im voting for an old piece of clutch cover when possibley the engine went down on its side, smashed the cover,new cover fitted but no one got all the bits out, i would forget it and thrash it

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

contaminated

posted on 29/10/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
i would forget it and thrash it

So would I. What's the alternative? You either drive it slow cos you're worried or you take it apart and look.

Major Stare

posted on 29/10/09 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys...

Engine was from Yorkshire engines. Malc said he built it to get a complete engine.

The sump gasket was old and flakey, so its not been removed for some time.
The piece of metal was wedged right in the gap/corner of the pick up.
Clutch basket seems fine, nothing missing... but also looks brand new.

There was a VERY small piece of metal in the oil sump as well and thats it, oil is clean. Some scars in the engine when i look up with the sump off but i cant be sure if its part of the casting.

Engine was running fine when ticking over to warm up.

Spoke to Andy at AB Performance, said he'd log on today to view the pics and give an opinion.

[Edited on 29/10/09 by Major Stare]

Jon "FISH"

Major Stare

posted on 30/10/09 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
if the surface is curved, can you work out the rough diameter of the component it came from, as above that would tell you if it came from the clutch

I have tried but everytime i try, i get a different circle.

There would be more metal in the sump if it was a damaged casing or piston??????

Jon "FISH"

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/10/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Why not ask Malc?

You will never meet a nicer bike breaker (actually he is much better than that).

For what it is worth: On bikes the sump is a pain to take off because the exhaust often runs under it. And we all know the problems with exhaust studs. As leaving bits in the sump doesn't do any harm I suspect there are often bits of crap in there. I found a bit in my sump, which turned out had been sorted ages ago, but they hadn't emptied the sump.

Coming from a car perspective, taking the sump off is easy. Coming from a bike perspective changing the clutch is easy!

Leave it I am sure you are fine. Otherwise you need to budget for a set of gaskets and all the accidental damage that you might do when you strip it (speaking from my experiences doing the same)!

Matt

Major Stare

posted on 1/11/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Why not ask Malc?

Tried, message on his mobile says he unavailable till 9th November

Not sure what he will/can do, apart from travel to me and strip the engine?!??

Jon "FISH"

Major Stare

posted on 9/11/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted.

Spoke to Malc this afternoon.

Put everything back this weekend and prey for dry weather

Jon "FISH"

Gergely

posted on 10/11/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
So what was it then? Would be interested to know.

Our build pictures

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.