Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap and desirable engines for BEC's????
stevio73

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap and desirable engines for BEC's????

Okay, exploring the possiblities..... I have a locost chassis which I have currently done nothing with. I have convinced my wife that it will be fun and up and running for the summer (fat chance, but I can dream)
I really want to go the BEC route, but here's the problem. Sourcing a cheap enough bike engine and bits to make it run. The whole 'Locost' element is key here, and perhaps why I'm starting to wish I'd taken up golf.
In the ultimate dersirability section, tests have proved that a bike engine with 1000cc and upwards is better, more bang for buck. However the more modern stuff... zzr1100, CBR1100rr, ZZR 1400 etc do appear to be somewhat expensive.
I do know of a blackbird engine which is ex grass track car and in several buckets of bits for sale £350. I'd really like to have a complete bike which I know at least runs so all the parts work together instead of buying a load of problems.
A zzr 1100 on ebay is a rare thing at that price, even though I would consider paying up to £500 for the bits I need. (theory being the whole bike would cost more but then the resale of the bit I don't need would re-coup some cost) Am I mad? Will £500 see a functioning engine, wiring, carbs/injection, clocks and airbox? From any fairly current bike?

Other than that there's a VF1000FF for £650 locally. Anyone used a V4 before?

Help guide the mis guided.

Thanks.

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

big_wasa

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
you would be better of with a fireblade or zx9r lump.
McLannahan

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I know Dangle_KT's (Andy) Fireblade engine didn't cost a great amount. Always an unknown buying anything from Ebay but engines start from £150 on there.
stevio73

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's been good to me has ebay in the past. Bought a lathe for £55 and has been invaluable since. Would triple (if not more) my money just weighing it in for scrap.
As far as Bike engines go.... I guess I'm looking at older stock, as suggested ZX9r, even so they are holding their money.
Does anyone have a source for cheaper bikes that have been written off?

m8kwr

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
i brought a ZZR 1100 for £350 of ebay including loom and 2 exhaust, it is nearly 20 years old, but i wanted to go the carb route due to cost of injection setup etc

I would say keep looking on ebay, Yorkshire engines is a god place but you would need about 1k for an engine - but may be worth speaking with them as they might be able to help you.

flibble

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Always worth keeping an eye out for write-offs such as Linky, there's usually 1 or 2 on there at any given time.
There also used to be insurance company auctions at a few places around the country which I picked up a couple of bargains at many years ago, not sure if t'internet has killed them off though, can't even remember the name of any, sorry!

gixermark

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
if you keep an eye out and look for less 'desireable' motors you could pick up a bargain...

an old CBR1000F engine coudl be had for very little, and a good reliable lump putting out decent BHP, bandit 1200 etc.. maybe a suzuki RF900..

blades and zx-9's can be bought for 500 quid.. and the beauty is you'll source all the bits to get the going easy - engine cradle, manifold, carbs, sprocket adapters, wiring.. and importantly help/info on here and other forums..

good luck - there are lots of guys on here with good knowledge...

Dangle_kt

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

yeah mine was £250ish if I remember, full engine minus carbs.

It runs fine...minus the small amount of oil that is currently wetting number 3 cylinder/sparkplug.

I think I was lucky, but fireblade lumps are pretty bulletproof in the bikes with 100k miles + on some, its only in kits where they take a pounding.

Dont forget the costs of an exhaust manifold etc. that for the less commonly used engines will have to be made bespoke. I got an used megablade manifold from a westfield for a lot less than a custom made one for a zzr1100 etc would have set me back - more than I would ever have saved on the costs of the engine.

and I got lucky as it was a 1994 engine, so easy emissions test too

EDIT - oh yeah i forgot to mention - it goes like STINK!

[Edited on 15/12/09 by Dangle_kt]

[Edited on 15/12/09 by Dangle_kt]

SPYDER

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the RF900. Also Thunderace.
I've always wondered about using a recent GSXR 750 motor. 150hp, titanium rods, loads of revs... cheaper than 1 litre engine...
Not much torque, admittedly, but might not matter too much if you use the revs. And who wouldn't use the revs?
Geoff

D Beddows

posted on 15/12/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Old School ZX10 Engine For Sale

Any interest to you? could be persuaded to let the lot go for £450 - then all you'd need is an exhaust and roughly 3 'O' rings and off you go!

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/12/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
The old, cheap and cheerful engine question.

If you are going to think about RF900 then why not GSXR1100w ? The installs are very similar, except you get a few more cc's with the 1100. Cloudy definitely enjoyed his before he up/down graded to an R1.

Good engine, but you need to work out whether the extra cost of a custom bits are worth the bother, as no-one has a standard manifold or craddle. Also the clutch needs a bit of magic to work with a prop-adapter. Prop-adapters are easy to buy from the normal sources.

You could go with the air-cooled GSXR1100 as these are well regarded, but keeping them cool could be a problem. I don't know of many of these.

Remember, if you want carbs, and want to run it on the road, then there are benefits of pre-94 engines for the emissions.

If I did it again (and I may) then I would put a modern engine in. It is a big cost, but it difficult to build a car for £250.

Matt

welderman

posted on 15/12/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
ive just bought a 2000 R1 engine complete with loom, carbs, rad, manifold infact the whole package for 600 quid

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

ReMan

posted on 15/12/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Dont buy an engine in bits
Don't underestimate the smaller engines, have you had the BEC experience 1st hand?
You can get a set up for £500 ish

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/12/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Difficult not to go for anything else than a Blade engine, it's cheap, bombproof and needs no special care.

If this is your 1st hairdrier-powered brick, try the Blade 1st and then look around for something else while you're enjoying it.

TimC

posted on 16/12/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the CBR1000 motor, except you'll need a high ratio diff really - Cortina maybe?

T66

posted on 16/12/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Look here

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=78203

RK

posted on 17/12/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I don't really know anything about bike engines, but that seems like a VERY good deal!!!
Regsmonster

posted on 17/12/09 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
We bought a crashed (fairing splattered) ZZR1100 for £500 off ebay a few years ago.
We sold all the bits we didn't need for £400, so we got an engine, loom, clocks and rad for £100

Rustybin

posted on 17/12/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Has anybody tried a GSX1400 in a car? The power is reasonably low (around 100Bhp) but has to be torquey and light being air cooled. I would have thought it could work well with forced induction and is a lot cheaper than most high capacity bike's
ReMan

posted on 17/12/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not, due to being aircooled and only around 100bhp
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/12/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
SPYDER has made a very good suggestion, but no-one else would agree with the suitability of a GSXR750.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcLo8NhJdEA

It's a great engine in my book, only a few tenths slower around Combe than my 1000. A real hoot to drive too. Engine has taken a few FTD's and virtually every class record on the ASWMC circuits.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.