Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any 2 stroke experts about my area?
matt.c

posted on 10/1/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Any 2 stroke experts about my area?

Right i have to the conclusion that i going to burn my fecking kart if i dont get it started soon!!

Is there any 2 stroke experts that could come over and have a look at my 125cc engine. I just cant get it started.

Have tried all the normal stuff but it just doesnt want to go.

I give up!

blue2cv

posted on 10/1/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
what type of eng is it rotary valve, reed or straight piston port, back in my mispent youth we used to get the reeds sticking through lack of use, manual lifting and cleaning of petals always made a difference , is disc turning if rotary valve, if none of above, spark at about right time and fuel getting through, law of averages says it must run, sorry for stating blindingly obv, good luck
matt.c

posted on 10/1/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
ENGINE LINKY

How can i check there is fuel getting in there? Can i put fuel straight into the top of the piston to try and make it fire? I have spark.

[Edited on 10/1/10 by matt.c]

coozer

posted on 10/1/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
If reed valves, maybe hanging open or due to lack of use a crankcase leak. Same thing really.

As any engine check the spark with the plug out and sniff test the plug hole for petrol.

So, 3 things, spark/timing, fuel presence/blocked carb? Crankcase leak, probably the most unlikely unless the motor hasn't been run for years.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/1/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
When you have checked everything obvious and it still won't start, it may be that the crankshaft seals have gone, thus losing primary compression.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

theconrodkid

posted on 10/1/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
is the plug getting wet?
if no then could be a reed valve/crank seal prob,old fuel left in the carb will clog up the jets,got any easy start?
put your hand over the carb inlet and spin the engine to suck fuel in

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

matt.c

posted on 10/1/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
When you have checked everything obvious and it still won't start, it may be that the crankshaft seals have gone, thus losing primary compression.

Hmmm? This idea is crossing my mind.

blue2cv

posted on 10/1/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
just looked at link and can see its a reed eng, just check petals arnt stuck
ReMan

posted on 10/1/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
ENGINE LINKY

How can i check there is fuel getting in there? Can i put fuel straight into the top of the piston to try and make it fire? I have spark.

yes I'd have done that first, chuck a teaspoon full of petrol or a liberal sqirt of easystart into the plug hole

dhutch

posted on 10/1/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Trying asking about rotax problems on a kartsite?

Not that there arnt a lot of knowlable chaps on here, but the rotax is a very common kart engine and people that have used them a lot will just know them in so much more detail and know there common faults etc.

When i was karting we where on honda c90's as i got out before geting onto the more powerfull stuff.

Daniel

thunderace

posted on 10/1/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
ENGINE LINKY

try easy start ,just jun it for 3 seconds on the stuff as theres no 2t and hot plugs i blow torch them to burn off any oil befor i use easy start.

Wadders

posted on 10/1/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Give it a whiff of easy start, if it fires you will know the ignition is ok and its a fuelling issue.
If it is a fuel problem, strip the carb to nothing i.e all the jets out etc and soak the lot including the carb body in solvent. blow everything out with compressed air and rebuild.
Chances are the carb is crusted up somewhere if its been stood a while.

Al.

Stuart_B

posted on 10/1/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
i know 2 stroke can be tricky some times, i do not kart, but use 2 stokr engine in jetski, pistorn port, reed and rotary.

i used to if you got spark, i would clean the sparks plugs up and warm them up, or new ones.

and try that if still no i would check to see if they are geeting wet if not, little bit of fuel down the plug holes, plugs in spin it over and see if starts if it does, check all you fuel lines first and filters, then try or still no go for the carb.

but if it does not start with the fuel, i would do a compression test, or engien leak down test.

if you have all 3 it should start it might take some time through.

hth

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.