Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a hillclimb/sprint/trackday car
grassracer

posted on 24/1/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a hillclimb/sprint/trackday car

I'm looking for a cheap toy for use on hillclimbs/sprints and a few track days. It needs to be a tin top and road legal and come in at under a grand to buy. Cheap and easy to find go faster bits for as well....if it was your money what would you buy ??
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Volvorsport

posted on 24/1/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
for under a grand ?

205, nova , corsa , even a metro .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

carpmart

posted on 24/1/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
MK1 or MK2 MR2

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

carpmart

posted on 24/1/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
or E30 325

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

tomprescott

posted on 24/1/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Probs a mk1 mr2 or a mk2 golf. Maybe a classic mini?
StevieB

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 - brilliant handling, rear wheel drive and about as fast as any standard road saloon in the engine size class
matty h

posted on 24/1/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
205 GTI gets my vote always some on e bay with full cages.
lsdweb

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Saxo - a month ago you could have had mine! here

And quicker than standard MX5s every time :-)

PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Clio 172
morcus

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Your probably better off buying a bigger car as you'll get more for your money (New drivers want cheap small cars which puts the prices up). I would be looking at things like BMW 325s and Merc 190's and C classes.

That said, my old 205 was the best handling car I've ever driven and I found it easy to know precisly where it was and what it was doing, I also think the 205 shape still looks good (In 3 door form) with it's coupé inspired look.

A third option, SAAB 9000 or 900. Get one of the bigger engines and strip them out and you'll have the performance and I'm told they are well poised as shown here

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

boggle

posted on 24/1/10 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
subaru impreza or pug 205 1.6 gti

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

norfolkluego

posted on 24/1/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
For sprinting and hillclimbing I would think a well sorted 205 would wee all over a 3 series. The MR2 is quick but the handling can be tricky especially in the wet, early mark 2s can be a right handful (I know, I had one). Go for a 205.
dzine

posted on 24/1/10 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
1990-1992 Honda Civic SiR. 1.6, 160hp. Will out perform everything mentioned and be very reliable.

[Edited on 24/1/10 by dzine]

hobbsy

posted on 24/1/10 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Clio 172

For <£1k? I know they are fairly cheap but I didn't think that cheap?

norfolkluego

posted on 24/1/10 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dzine
1990-1992 Honda Civic SiR. 1.6, 160hp. Will out perform everything mentioned and be very reliable.

[Edited on 24/1/10 by dzine]

Define perform (not knocking the Civic, I've got one, it's my daily commuter), Civic's a fine handling car but I would have thought a 205 was better, much better actually. Many sprint courses are more about handling than out and out power (obviously both would be nice), all things considered I'd go for the 205 but the Civic is a good shout.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/1/10 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Clio 172

For <£1k? I know they are fairly cheap but I didn't think that cheap?

Ive seen a few early 172 's go for around the £1000 mark,I only paid £1500 for mine back in september 2008.
The good thing with the 172's they are quick hot hatch standard.
Strip it out,decat the exhaust and fit a induction kit and you have got a 180+bhp little flying machine.
There's nothing wrong with the 205 gti's,but most of them are around 20 to 25 years old now,I looked at one which was rusting around the rear suspension mounts,and the rear of the sills,that put me off a bit,also the 1.6 gti's are only 115bhp,you need to get a 1.9gti to get up to 130bhp,and then fit another engine,a 16valve motor to get you upto 160bhp,then TB's to get you up to 180bhp.
What my advise would be though for him,whatever car he buys,is to spend a bit more than a £1000,buy a car thats already been built for hill climbs sprints or trackdays,with all the cage, seats,suspension,brakes etc already fitted,as buying the correct parts,and getting it set up can be quite expensive,and often overlooked.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

morcus

posted on 25/1/10 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that the 1.6 GTi was the one to go for because of the extra weight of the 1.9.

As someone said earlier, Hill Climbs are about handling more than power so you should try and test all the different options out to see how they handle for you.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

T66

posted on 25/1/10 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

A third option, SAAB 9000 or 900. Get one of the bigger engines and strip them out and you'll have the performance and I'm told they are well poised as shown here

Saab 900 Turbo -

Swap software in the 185bhp version it becomes 230.

Heavy car so once stripped out will fly, already has big brakes so fit green stuff pads.

Suffers from wallow/roll - lowering springs, gas dampers & decent rear anti roll bar.

The T5 engine with a decent downpipe & turbo will run happily to 450bhp on the stock rods & crank.

And my final Saab point - you will probably have the only Saab hillclimber in the UK.

Different is good !

JimSpencer

posted on 25/1/10 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm

Well assuming you're going to keep it fairly standard (ish) then it'll be in Standard Saloon & sportscars class

So to get the best out of the class engine capacity splits it'll need to be just under 1.4L, or just under 2L, or something really pokey if going in the over 2L class

For me perhaps a 106 (GSi?) would be a good bet or isn't the Suzuki Swift Gti a 1.3?, or as a real off the wall idea how about a Daihatsu Charade GTi (the 1L turbo one) as that, at a 1.4 multiplier for the turbo, could be really entertaining in it's class..

iank

posted on 25/1/10 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Off the wall thinking (and it if it works it will probably get banned/reclassed)
Diesels get a multiplier of 0.5
Turbos a multiplier of 1.4

Therefore a turbo diesel has a multiplier of 0.7

So a 1.9 or 2.0 turbo diesel goes into the 1.4 class. Worth thinking about as with a remap they can put out 150-200bhp.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

phelpsa

posted on 25/1/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look here...

http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/results.asp?Year=2009

205s and 106 Rallye / 1.4 XSis are usually competitive and cost very little to buy / maintain.

What you don't pay to buy a 3 series etc you will pay when you you want to be competitive or you crash it!

I've been competing in the HSA Champ in a 205 for the past couple of seasons and beaten quite a lot of 'better' machinery. Michael Andrews has done extremely well in his first season in a standardish 106 rallye, beating class records pretty much everywhere he went!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ettore bugatti

posted on 25/1/10 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Two different ideas:

A Volvo 480 Turbo? Quick and cheap. The electronics are weak, but the mechanicals are good.

For a Nissan Micra k11 there is a lot of goodies avaible so that might be a nice toy car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.