Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ebay problem
pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
ebay problem

Hi

After a bit of fleabay advice please ?

I got 4 axle stands (2 pairs) which were supposedly Draper stands and quite high.

Didn't get much communication other than seller asking for more postage which told him to swing for.

Then didn't turn up so eventually filed a paypal claim.

Anyway seller must have posted them yesterday but now they turn up, they are Wickes not draper which means they aren't as high.

I paid £15 for each pair but when Wickes discontinued them they were £1.71 !!!

So feel a bit ripped off really and asked for a refund.

I've never had a problem with ebay and have never returned anything so wanted to know do you have to pay postage yourself to return and item and also what'll happen next with my paypal claim ?

thanks
Paul

scootz

posted on 23/2/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about the postage - that's for him to sort-out after the claim has been settled.

It's Evolution Baby!

BenB

posted on 23/2/10 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
When I had a similar situation because the seller offered to send me a refund as long as I sent the item back Ebay refused to get involved....
Lars

posted on 23/2/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
last time paypal found in my favour I had to return at my cost.

if paid via credit card lodge a complaint vai them, as they did not expect me to return the item, but you only have to demonstrate that the item is available for collection by the seller

balidey

posted on 23/2/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
If it goes through Paypal or ebay as a claim you have to return the items at your cost unless the seller pays you (very unlikely). And it has to be trackable. So it may well end up costing you more.

You could try asking for a partial refund, may be the least cost option to you

[Edited on 23/2/10 by balidey]

pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
hmm that's what I was afraid of.

so the clever chaps priced it just right so that I might just let him off due to the cost to me of returning it.....

Thanks for all your responses

pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
just seen your edit re partial refund - think I'll go for that and see what happens

thanks again

carpmart

posted on 23/2/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have a different recent experience.

I received a set of spark plugs which were not what I ordered. The seller offered a refund or replacement but I had to return. I 'discussed' this with him several times on the ebay messaging email but when he wouldn't pay for return postage or collect, I then submitted a claim for a full refund to ebay.

They found in my favor and refunded me the total original price including postage and told me that I didn't have to return the goods. They remain ready for collection but I doubt I'll hear back!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
that's encouraging.

seems a bit unfair to have to pay return postage when the item isn't as described to me - i wouldnt want to return it if it was right after all.

will121

posted on 23/2/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
its anoying the feeling of being overcharged for something, must admit more i look at prices on ebay the less i think there are bargins to be had especially when P&P taken into account. Silly prices places like B&Q, Lidl sometimes charge and local motorfactors cost for gasket sets ive been looking for recently put ebay to shame.
pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
yep agree with that - I'm kicking myself for not just getting down to an autojumble which is where i've got most of my tools..
martin1973

posted on 23/2/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
just quote the distance selling rules
you can return anything within 28 days of sale and get a full refund.

or place a not a discribed claim with ebay

martin

roadrunner

posted on 23/2/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
How long is a reasonable time before claiming back your money.
I won a pair of half shafts nearly four weeks ago and i still dont have them.
Seller says hes been working away or he will be in touch with post office because he said he sent tham last week, but nothing as of yet.

pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'd check now you can start off a claim between 10 and 45 days....
Steve G

posted on 23/2/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Is this a Private seller or Trader on Ebay - depending on which makes a difference to your rights. If a trader then as said you are covered by distance selling rules. If private then simply file it as "Not as described" but i certainly wouldnt give an inch to the seller by offering any sort of negotiation over this - he'll see it as a sign of weakness which is probably what he's relying on if he's bought a shed load at under £2 each as above!!!
pdm

posted on 23/2/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
he's a private seller.

I've filed it as not described so have to see how I get on - no way I'm paying to send it back though.

Sure he's just trying it on - it took a dispute just to get the item sent.

What I don't get is that I'd already filed a dispute for non-receipt 10 days ago. He only posted them yesterday - he must have known I'd continue the claim as the stands he sent are lower and have a lower SWL - why bother sending them instead of just holding his hands up and refunding me !! Some people.

Oh well !!

I'll stick to my guns - I'm off to Donington on 7th March for the Save Donington event - the autojumble that's normally in Newark is going to be there so hopefully by then I'll have my money back and can buy a proper set from someone there - I'll be able to see what I'm getting, banter and haggle a bit - much more civilised !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.