Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: immobiliser and alarm on damaged car?
daniel mason

posted on 23/2/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
immobiliser and alarm on damaged car?

went into the garage tonight to start stripping the donor but wanted to check everything was ok so i tried to start it up. i new the battery was flat as its been stood a while and was only putting out 1.02 volts. i connected the jump leads to it and the hazzard warning flashers were flashing and would not turn off.then alarm started beeping for about 20 seconds, then the alarm would sound until i removed the jump leads? when i put key in to ignition and turned it. dash display lit up perfectly but start button would not fire! and as the alarm was so loud i had to remove jump leads asap. any thoughts?
Steve G

posted on 23/2/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Had this on my car with an old (10+yrs) alarm - i just needed to reset the alarm after the flat battery activated it.
bi22le

posted on 23/2/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you have answered it. It has an alarm and immob. The alarm sounds becasue the bat is so flat.

Things to try:
Before you connect the battery stuff an old towel right down the siren. Dont cut it off! This is quite it down lots.

If you have got the key fob for the alarm put the jump leads on, wait for the noise to start then press the button untill in disarms. The car SHOULD then start.

Look at the siren. If it is big with more than two wires it will probably be a CAT 1 alarm. That means two seperate immobaliser cuts and a well fitted alarm. If it is only two wires and a small siren it is probably not cat 1.

Use the siren wires to find the alarm brain and then start chasing wires to understand where the cuts are.

HTH

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

daniel mason

posted on 23/2/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i have the key fob and pushed both buttons but nothing happened. battery was ok in th fob 9.6v
Dan.

posted on 23/2/10 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had a clifford alarm imobaliser die in this way, aparently they dont like being left to go flat unless they are placed in valet mode and it is hit and miss wether reconnecting them will kill them.
hillbillyracer

posted on 23/2/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a proper factory fit alarm/immobilizer? If so fit a known good charged battery with proper leads, not jump leads. Some leads from an old car bolted to the original battery terminals & taped up to insulate & the other end on the battery with good clamps will be far better than jump leads.
With the correct key/fob & good stable voltage I think it'll sort itself out.

I'd not have the original battery from the car connected at all, it's probably faulty from having stood & may be abosrbing much of the charge instead of it going to work the electrics on your car.

[Edited on 23/2/10 by hillbillyracer]

bmseven

posted on 23/2/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
What alarm is it?

Try locking and unlocking with the fob, remember you may have a bonnet switch you will need to push in to make it think its all locked up

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.