Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2005 R1 and GI-Pro gear indicator. Where to get speed signal from?
Gergely

posted on 26/2/10 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
2005 R1 and GI-Pro gear indicator. Where to get speed signal from?

Hi,
I have the GI-Pro X-type gear indicator installed and a 2005 R1 engine. The speedometer in the car is a Koso unit with its own speed sensor fitted to the proshaft with 4 magnets in our case. The Koso speed sensor uses three wires that go to the Koso unit. I tried all three of the wires and none of them seems to provide the Geartech with a suitable signal.
So I am wondering, where could I get a speed signal from? The R1 engine's original speed sensor maybe? But I think I have cut that one off from the loom a year ago not thinking I would fit a gear indicator, so I am now unsure where the sensor is, and where the wires might be...
Do you have any ideas on whether the R1 sender would actually work? If yes, where is the correct wire in the loom? If not, how could I get a speed signal to the GI-Pro?

Thanks!
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 26/2/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have just installed the same gear indicator and I got my feed from the rev counter not from the speedo

Not sure if it is the same set up, but I just plugged mine into the Power Comander feeds, then connected to the rev feed and a 12v feed

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

Gergely

posted on 26/2/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Which harness did you get with the GIPro? I got the universal one, not the Yamaha specific one. This has 4 wires (12V-red, Earth-black, Revs-green and Speedo-white). If you plugged your harness into the PC feed, I assume that you must be using the engine's speed sensor... Can you maybe check which harness plugs you connected where and what colour wires match which colour wire on the GIPRO harness?
Thanks a lot!!!

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 26/2/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I did use the Yamahe specifc loom, I can't get to the car today but if no one else has replied by tomorrow I will try and get in there and have a look

quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
Which harness did you get with the GIPro? I got the universal one, not the Yamaha specific one. This has 4 wires (12V-red, Earth-black, Revs-green and Speedo-white). If you plugged your harness into the PC feed, I assume that you must be using the engine's speed sensor... Can you maybe check which harness plugs you connected where and what colour wires match which colour wire on the GIPRO harness?
Thanks a lot!!!

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

Kriss

posted on 26/2/10 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Acumen and used:

Neutral ligth from Koso feed
Speedo from koso pick up (4 magnets)
Live 12v
Engine speed/revs by tapping into the engine wiring (injectors I think)

Gergely

posted on 26/2/10 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Kriss, which one of the 3 wires did you use for speedo from the Koso pickup? The connector uses three wires, and I couldn't figure out...
Thanks!

Our build pictures

Frosty

posted on 27/2/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
Kriss, which one of the 3 wires did you use for speedo from the Koso pickup? The connector uses three wires, and I couldn't figure out...
Thanks!

A quick multimeter test will show you. One is earth, one is +12v, and one is the pulse (only +12v when the sensor is in range of a magnet).

You want the pulse signal.

Gergely

posted on 1/3/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I will test it at home, hopefully that should have the speedo signal sorted. Cheers!
Gergely

Our build pictures

Kriss

posted on 1/3/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - Frosty above did the majority of mine, I just tookt he glory on doignt he final set up and programmign the unit lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.