Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Earthing point - looking for suggestions/solutions
David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Earthing point - looking for suggestions/solutions

On the back of my plywood dash I have a number of wires that make an earth/chassis connection via spade terminals. I started off with just 1 or 2, so using a piggy-back terminal was OK (-ish). Now I have 3 or 4, and want to add another, I'm looking for a better way to do it!

So - does anyone know of anything that has a number of spade terminals all connected together? A sort of 'bus bar' where I can connect one big fat earth wire at one end, and connect the various wires via standard spade terminals?

I've seen one that uses screw terminals (from VWP)

But I want 1/4" spade connectors, not screw terminals...

This one's getting closer, but I want 'all connected'.

[Edited on 28/2/10 by David Jenkins]

Steve G

posted on 28/2/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've always bunched earth wires together and fitted a suitably large ring connector to go straight to the chassis.

I wouldnt piggy-back earth's at all, as you're potentially putting a lot of current through a single wire and introducing potential dodgy connections. Keep it as simple as possible and you should find your wiring is more reliable.

SPYDER

posted on 28/2/10 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Also from VWP.
Two thirds of the way down the page. Code SBH.

Geoff.
linky

RichardK

posted on 28/2/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
David, couldn't you use the 2nd one in your post and use a washer in the middle with little tabs on connecting each side as this will be used to mount the thing any way?

-O-

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 28/2/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
Also from VWP.
Two thirds of the way down the page. Code SBH.

Geoff.
linky

Ha!

Didn't spot that lot... I could either use a couple of those, or solder some of the other tabs in that section onto a metal strip...

...that'll do nicely.

(Once again, the forum finds an answer within 5 minutes! )

big_wasa

posted on 28/2/10 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I used a bit of copper 1/4" plate and drilled and taped it with a matrix of holes. A machine screw through from the back then a lock nut to hold the ring terminal down.
Bluemoon

posted on 28/2/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have a long brass bolt though chassis.. All earths got to a ring terminations and are bolted to this point (but most of the car has seperate earths as using standard seirra loom).

Dan

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/10 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I have a long brass bolt though chassis.

Unfortunately that doesn't work with a plywood dashboard!

I just have a fat wire coming from an earthing point on the metal scuttle - I was just trying to find the best way to share that around (now solved, I reckon).

BenB

posted on 28/2/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
How's about this from Screwfix. Cheap as chips

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11385/Electrical-Supplies/Earthing/8-Way-Earth-Block

EDITED TO SAY- really should learn to read one of these days, didn't see the bit where you want spade terminals

[Edited on 28/2/10 by BenB]

RK

posted on 28/2/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of that type myself, and a lot of things just screwed into the chassis elsewhere (lights for example). I had the "bundle them all together" thing going but it got too unwieldy.
Peteff

posted on 28/2/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Put some male spade terminals into the screw terminal block and tighten the screw down on the crimp part. Now put female terminals on the wire and push them onto the males.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Got myself sorted by ordering one of these beasties from AutoSparks:

It's a bit of future-proofing - I can tidy up a few things with that, not just the earth connections.

(I was going to but one of those things from VWP, but after adding some thinwall cable as well, I found that the P&P they wanted was almost more than the goods. It worked out as goods = £4-something, P&P = £3.95 - total bill £11-odd. Got pretty much the same thing from AutoSparks for £5.90)

Bluemoon

posted on 28/2/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I have a long brass bolt though chassis.

Unfortunately that doesn't work with a plywood dashboard!

I just have a fat wire coming from an earthing point on the metal scuttle - I was just trying to find the best way to share that around (now solved, I reckon).

You can still use a bolt though to "star" earth from, like you say then have one fat wire back to the chassis/battery. As the plywood is isolated this would work well (i.e attach bolt with a two penny washers and a nut).. just add vaseline on the ring connetors/bolt to stop corrosion though..

Cost == free as had brass bolts/washers..

[Edited on 28/2/10 by Bluemoon]

posted on 28/2/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Long strip of stainless screwed to the plywood, tapped m4 every 100mm,
with a big fat wire on the end to fix to the chassis?

Paul G

tigerzetec

posted on 28/2/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave, Just seen your post......I see you have something now, but i could have helped you out with something similar for free. I have lots of electrical/electronic bits in my garage loft. Some of it will probably never get used. Only in the next village, so easy to have a look if i have something you want.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.