Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reccomend a lacquer, is 2k dangerous?
andrew-theasby

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
reccomend a lacquer, is 2k dangerous?

Is 2k lacquer as dangerous as it sounds? Theres plenty of people selling it on ebay, i thought it was banned. If so what is a good type of lacquer/clearcoat to use its going over an epoxy resin finish, and i want one with a high build. I found this but its 2k, what do you think
skinned knuckles

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
that is what i use when i cant be bothered getting the compressor out for the smaller jobs. just use a good quality mask (at least the ones with the filter cans on the side)

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

austin man

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Nah its as safe as cyanide can be. You do need a good mask air fed realistically

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

andrew-theasby

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Is 2k fuel proof too? Thanks
skinned knuckles

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Is 2k fuel proof too? Thanks

you dont want to leave petrol (or any other solvent) sitting on any paint/clearcoat finish but it will do as well as any in my experience.

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

andrew-theasby

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ye, sorry, i didnt mean completely fuel proof, but if you splash it etc...
Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/3/10 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful tho, its still poisionous. Whatever mask you use make sure its got a good filter... Airfed are obviously the best. If you start to smell the paint, GET OUT !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

ashg

posted on 5/3/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
be carefull with 2 pack paint it has isocyanate in it which is a really nasty chemical. isocyanate can be absorbed into the body through any mucus membrane. basically meaning breathing it in is pretty bad. what people dont realise is that you can absorb it through your eyes!! and even skin if you are sweaty.

effects can range from headaches, vomiting, stomach cramps, lesions and skin burns, laboured breathing. studys believe long term or high exposure can lead to cancer

be warned

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

andyw7de

posted on 5/3/10 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I painted my BMW with 2 pack paint, I used a mask but it wasnt air fed, Even in a good ventillated workshop i was feeling crap for days after.

Same as rubbing off the laquer without a mask its not nice

wilkingj

posted on 5/3/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
DO NOT PUT YOURSELF AT RISK.

Believe me you really DONT want to use this stuff without the correct safety precuations.

You body can have strange reactions to ANY chemical or Biological contaminant.

I breathed in Blue/Green Algae when cleaning my drive with my pressure washer.
My immune system saw this as an attack, and reacted by attacking eveything in sight, namely my nervous system. My immune system attacked my nerve receptors and completely paralysed me.
I was in hospital for 14 days and off work for 6 months learning to walk again etc.

that was 15 years ago. I never fully recovered, and its blighted my life ever since.

PLEASE do not think "It wont happen to me"
PLEASE take ALL the correct precautions when using these paints and preparations.
These safety measures are there for very good reasons.

This is not a case of Health and Safety Bollox... Its a REAL risk to your health.

My problem came from a bio hazard.

Ask yourself... WOULD I swallow a cyanide capsule if I didn need to? The answer will tell you how to handle 2 pack paints which produce it, and other harmful things like solvents / thinners etc etc.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 5/3/10 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Spraying this kind of paint anywhere other than in a spray booth, is potentially deadly. Not least for the fumes (not smell) which you or passers by could breathe in, but for the explosive vapour as well.

Dont do it.

Im going to use cellulose, but will see if i can get to a spray booth locally.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeR

posted on 5/3/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
just been reading today on the mig welding forum about this - very interesting read. My summary .... be so very careful you really want to pay someone else to take the risk.
andrew-theasby

posted on 5/3/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
is it still dangerous once its dried? Ie to rub it down, or is it just the same as any other paint dust then? Thanks for the warnings
Brommers

posted on 6/3/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
is it still dangerous once its dried? Ie to rub it down, or is it just the same as any other paint dust then? Thanks for the warnings

No, once it's dried there are no isocyanates left since they've all reacted to form polyamine chains.

Before then it is seriously nasty stuff, however. I use it, but I've got an air-fed mask fed by a separate compressor with an external air feed, full Tyvek overalls and a dedicated spray booth with powered ventilation in the middle of nowhere.

If you're not confident that you're aware of the risks to yourself and to others and have taken all necessary steps to mitigate or eliminate those risks then I'd advise against using 2k paints.

boggle

posted on 6/3/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
i did a full colour change on my subaru the weekend before an event....in pearl....door shuts the lot....all in a booth, but i did it all without a mask...

spent the next week with cyanide poisoning....worst week of my life.....

one effect i had was my gums swelling up and popping.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Neville Jones

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Spraying this kind of paint anywhere other than in a spray booth, is potentially deadly. Not least for the fumes (not smell) which you or passers by could breathe in, but for the explosive vapour as well.

There's so much of this misinformation about, it's getting stupid.

You think the fumes from cellulose are less explosive than 2k? No way!! They'll go bang with the best of them.

For a small job, like a 7, it's ok to use 2k. Just as long as you use a decent mask. You'll need a few new filters though. Make sure the area is well ventilated, and fumes are not blowing into your neighbours, and you're fine.

Yes, people have been known to die from using 2k, and I know of two instances personally where 2 guys working in a large well known boatyard in Florida died within two days after spraying a large yacht. They did it in a fully enclosed shed, in hot weather, with no masks, and the paint was a particularly potent new formulation. The other was boats as well in Italy, and six guys went down, with one dying, after doing a similar thing.

The paints have changed since then, but are still noxious.

Just leave out all the H&S shite, and the 'prophet of doom' stuff, and use a bit of common sense!

After all that,
Cheers,
Nev.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.