Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front wheel arches
The Venom Project

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Front wheel arches

What a stressful job this has been, I thought at the beginning of the weekend I would have this cracked by today but have only managed 1 complete mudguard fitted, and not fitted that nice really. My initial idea was to make my own bracket using 3mm stainless plate and 2 x L shaped 5mm flat bar. This was easy to make up, and I had my bracket ready to fit in about an hr or so, however the flat bar would not sit nice against the wheel arch. I opted for round bar and used a solid piece for the bracket and some tube that nicley slid over the solid bar to allow me to set the height of the brackets. Like I say I have 1 fitted so far but this has taken lots of time and lots of stress too :-)

I opted to not get another set of brackets from MNR after seeing the comments listed about them breaking. I know at least 1 MNR (Orange) runs around without front guards fitted and I wondered how viable this is to do so? I know the law states you have to have them, but it also states to only do 30MPH on most roads :-)

Apart from chips off the road, does anyone see an issue with not using front guards? Or maybe using some that just sit at the back of the wheel to stop chips flying up like fitted to some BMW motorbikes?

I hope next weekend that both my mudguards will be fitted and then I am almost done and ready for IVA after a bit of tidying up.

[Edited on 7/3/10 by The Venom Project]

[Edited on 7/3/10 by The Venom Project]

RichardK

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used the plans from the tiger book for the wing stays and they've been rock solid, well for 3k miles anyway!

I'm going away next week on business so can't scan the page for you or I would.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 7/3/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I really would run mud guards with R888's and the like as otherwise it will completely dash the car and yourself. With the MNR brackets i think the important thing is to make the tab stronger where you bolt the mud guard to the hub and where the 'L' brackets fit to the bracket that bolts to the hub i would get this welded to reduce movement.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

GeorgeM

posted on 7/3/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate,

which uprights do you have ?

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

The Venom Project

posted on 8/3/10 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Raceleda Uprights

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeM
hi mate,

which uprights do you have ?

Hiya,

They are the Alloy Raceleda's

I totally underestimated the fitting time, I reckon this has been the hardest part of the build so far.

Any advice would be great, my brackets are not great and did move like crazy when I tested driving it yesterday

Any advice?

Do I need to brace them?

Maybe I should have just bought the originals?

The Venom Project

posted on 8/3/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures of wing stays?

Can anyone send me some pics of different types fitted to raceleda uprights?

I have just seen a nice pair fitted to a Raw Striker that were fitted to Raceleda's, they were on standard wishbones not rod ends, however I am sure now seeing those I could get some fabricated up from my mate. They were really sturdy.

I guess I just need some advice from actual builders and not dealers.

Cheers

Nick

Gergely

posted on 8/3/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have a picture of our car in the photo archive, we have Raceleda uprights, the MNR brackets, what we have done is bolted an "L" shaped steel strip to the highest part of the mudguard and fixed it to the top bolt of the Raceleda upright. This stops the mudguard brackets to vibrate that much, so hopefully won't break and even if they do, the mudguard still stays on... easy to do and does the job.
Gergely

Our build pictures

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeorgeM

posted on 8/3/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
As above, the stays are almost 180 deg apart. The arch will flex the stays causing the breakages.
'L' shaped bracket from inner edge of wing to top bolt on upright. It doesn't need to stop all movement, but it will stop the welds breaking !

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.