Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guess I won't be at Newark this year :-(
The Venom Project

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Guess I won't be at Newark this year :-(

Just spoken to MNR and they tell me my car has at least 48 issue's of which one of them means removing the engine to sort out. To say I am deflated is an understatement. I thought the only thing needed was my brakes fixing and my front wings fitting. I am going to MNR on saturday to discuss what I am able to do and what I will have to pay them to do. Of course I am able to do all of it as I built it from scratch, but it will come down to a timescale I feel and they will not want the car in the way anymore than I want it off the road :-( I have to say at this stage I feel very sad that my efforts seem to have been a complete waste of time, and lesson has been learnt that I will never waste good money putting it into a Kit Car again. Watch this space for and update but I guess I won't be going to Newark in my car without and extreme amount of good luck and money...
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Look on the bright side, do you know what the issues are?

They might be really straightforward fixes where a good weekend will have them cleared.

Put a list up when you know and people will surely be able to give advice or even help out. Keep at it.

You have obviously invested so much in the car to date and even though you feel crap you are really close to finishing!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Irony

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its a shame that you sound so down about your kitcar. Also it seems to me that 48 issues doesn't sound that much. At least you have a list of things to tick off and your done!

When you go to MNR see if they will let you drive one of their cars or get someone to take you out in theirs. Enthusiasm might come flooding back!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well you sound extremely negative towards the kit at the moment - its hardly the kit's fault there are issues which need putting right. I recon i had around 15 things that needed sorting to get my first car through SVA - most of which cost next to nothing to sort.

Dont give up. See what the list says and go from there. You cant expect perfection 1st time out so see it as a learning experience. It'll be worth it in the end and at least you're going to have a safe,well built car at the end of it

RichardK

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what the 48 issues are mate, and as for taking the motor out, thats not a biggie either. Have a chat with them, might be all small stuff thats are easy cheap fixes and they just needed you to be aware of, Yes get the pro's in the do the hard stuff quickly. Try and keep your chin up mate, your car looks lovely and you should be proud of what you've acheived so far.

Take care

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be disheartened. The problems can be fixed. Its a seven so I am amazed there can be that many problems. I only have to take my Fury out on the local A roads for half an hour and understand why I lavished so much time and money on it.

Get it on the road and you will understand what I mean.

Good luck

- Jim

The Venom Project

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
My Car Eats My Money, its a green monster

Yeah I hope so, I will know on Saturday what the issue's are, but I am not looking forward to taking that engine out again, arghhhh, I am however doing this work at MNR, so I am hopeful to maybe get it much closer and hope to get a week off starting the 17th to get the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday on it. Could do with not going to Germany on wednesday evening till the weekend, but its already booked :-(
The Venom Project

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Trying to be positive

Wish I hadn't phoned MNR now

I should have just turned up on Saturday hahahaha...

Oh well I bought a tent anyway for Newark

RichardK

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote

Yeh and with that engine in when its on the road its going to make you sh1t your pants too!

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 5/5/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

Yeh and with that engine in when its on the road its going to make you sh1t your pants too!

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 5/5/10 by RichardK]

I hope it does :-)

Just had a really shitty day, and that finished it off...

I will get my head right and be positive again after Saturday, and I will post my list of Fuckups for everyone to laugh at

[Edited on 5/5/10 by The Venom Project]

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
48 things to correct for it to pass IVA?
I wouldn't worry about it too much mate. In my opinion, yes some of the checks are safety related but a lot are pissy little things so it's likely that a good percentage of your issues are also litle things. No great shakes. Don't let the thing beat you.

RK

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel. I was presented with a big list when I went for my first inspection. The items were repaired and I took it to the one I was supposed to go in the first place, only for them to find not those things, but OTHER stuff. The Chief Engineer for the province then sent a list of EVEN MORE things to do, plus he wants an engineering report from a provincially certified engineer.... well, my car ain't going on the road here!!

So bite the bullet, do the work, and you are pretty much guaranteed a pass.

nemesis v12

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
dont worry about the list usualy they are small items that just add up...wait till your motor has swallowed over £30,000 and still not on the road then we will moan together;o)

ring round your mates tell them cars gone tits up and you need a touch. reward will be beer and a blast down the lanes when its done and people will come free beer builds everything mate. keep going and i will look for your car at the show as mine should be done too

to old to die young

lotusmadandy

posted on 6/5/10 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about 48 item's to sort out,i had a list of 60 and most of them were silly little thing's that took a few minutes to sort.

At least you know your car will be perfect when they are done.
Chin up lad it's never as bad as you think

Andy

iank

posted on 6/5/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Better for MNR to find 48 things than an IVA inspector.
Engine out could just be required to gain access for something as trivial as fitting a single p-clip to fix a 1mm spacing issue.

I'd wait to see the list before writing off your efforts.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

The Venom Project

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Better for MNR to find 48 things than an IVA inspector.
Engine out could just be required to gain access for something as trivial as fitting a single p-clip to fix a 1mm spacing issue.

I'd wait to see the list before writing off your efforts.

I know, I feel a bit better today, and left a message for Chris at MNR to say sorry if I sounded cheesed off, I agree that its much better to get this news from MNR than the IVA men. God willing I can rectify as much of it on my own as possible.

BenB

posted on 6/5/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
After my first SVA test I had two sheets of failure points. For each section of the tick sheet I had two or three bits that needed fixing.

It's just the way these things are. As said some of them will be tiny little things which are easily fixed.

Having to take the engine out sounds a right royal PITA however.....

GeorgeM

posted on 6/5/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
It will be sorted in a few days & you will feel much better.

GeorgeM

My conscience is clear - I drive a GREEN car
MNR Racing
essexkitcarclub.com

Gergely

posted on 6/5/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
When our car was just finished, we blew the engine... it had to come out. Second engine went in to find out the valves were faulty. It came out again. Then the reverse had to come out as it rattled loose. Then it had to come out because it was crap... in went a new model. Now it had to come out again as it developed a fault when the car finally started running well... Its on stands again...
I had to cancel the rolling road session just days before the session three times already...
And I'm still so happy I bought the car...

So relax, mate! taking the engine out once...nothing... I'm sure you will have to take out again sometime in the future... consider it a practice...

You are lucky it's not a car engine... that would be more difficult. Taking a bike engine out takes a couple of hours. Just take pictures from each side... it is so easy to forget what went where...
Gergely

Our build pictures

The Venom Project

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gergely
When our car was just finished, we blew the engine... it had to come out. Second engine went in to find out the valves were faulty. It came out again. Then the reverse had to come out as it rattled loose. Then it had to come out because it was crap... in went a new model. Now it had to come out again as it developed a fault when the car finally started running well... Its on stands again...
I had to cancel the rolling road session just days before the session three times already...
And I'm still so happy I bought the car...

So relax, mate! taking the engine out once...nothing... I'm sure you will have to take out again sometime in the future... consider it a practice...

You are lucky it's not a car engine... that would be more difficult. Taking a bike engine out takes a couple of hours. Just take pictures from each side... it is so easy to forget what went where...
Gergely

Its funny, I feel much much better now after reading your issue's LOL

Benzine

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've got hundreds of issues and I'm planning to go to newark

I'll probably fail but meh, worth a go You can do it!

[Edited on 6/5/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

The Venom Project

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Newark

Im sure I will be there, in my tent and renault, but who knows, im feeling much more positive this evening after lots and lots of positive comments from people in a similar position on here. I guess I just expected too much from myself, I just hoped I had built it fine, but its much better that MNR have pre IVA's it first. Got next Monday and Tuesday off work to fix as many issues as I can, then will have to bite the bullet and pay them to do the rest...

RK

posted on 7/5/10 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I think putting your head through a ringer is part of the process. I didn't sign up for that but what can you do? You just carry on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.