Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 starting issues
Oliver Jetson

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
R1 starting issues

Bit of background first. I have a hillclimb Locost which about 4 years ago I started to install a 1999 4XV R1 engine replacing my old Crossflow. It's been an ongoing project and had it all up and running. As often happens I had to put it on hold for a while and so it's been stood in the garage and not started for just over a year. The engine was left dry with no battery connected.

I've finally had some time to get back to it so over the last few weeks I've flushed the cooling system, given it a fresh oil change, and given the carbs a quick blast with carb cleaner to clean any gum/residue off.

I put a brand new YTX14 bike battery on and put in a gallon of fuel (the tank was left very near to empty while it was stood although there was a very small amount of fuel left in there).

I checked the fuel pump (it's a facet) was supplying fuel by taking the fuel pipe off the carbs and ran it in to a fuel can for a few seconds. Supplied fuel ok.

I turned the engine over on the starter motor with out the fuel pump on to lubricate the engine without starting it. It turned over on the button and sounded healthy.

I then connected the fuel line, flicked on the fuel pump and let the fuel build up. I hit the ignition for about 5 seconds, the engine turned over but no start. I then applied full choke and hit the ignition again. This time it had a few coughs and splutters but still no start up.

I've tried several times, giving throttle and choke and the most the engine has run for on its own is about 5 seconds quite roughly before dying.

Tomorrow I'll check the spark on the plugs but will buy some new plugs just because it seems sensible. Although as the engine has has run roughly on its own very briefly I imagine I do have spark.

So...any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Oli

RichardK

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Plugs would be my first try as well. Take out the plugs after the first failed start if it doesn't start 1st time, they don't like to get soaked with fuel, you can also check to see if you're get fuel into the bores by looking and smelling the plugs, and take the opportunity to test for a decent spark while they're hanging out too.

Cheers

Rich

edited cos my spelling is sh1te!

[Edited on 14/5/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jase380

posted on 14/5/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
take the plugs out for a couple of hours to let any fuel in the bores evaporate then heat the plugs up ( i warmed em with a blowtorch ) and put em back in. I had the same problem on my zx10 a couple of times and a mate told me try this, cracked up first time afterwards.
tony-devon

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
is the 99 R1 on carbs?

Im not all that familiar with the sports bikes, but Im pretty sure that it was one of the last of the good ones at that age

If it has carbs I would drain the float bowls, and check the jets

petrl left that long will have possibly varnished up the jets and blocked one of the small idle/slow running jets

water is heavier than petrol and will sink to the bottom.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oliver Jetson

posted on 15/5/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Problem solved, picked up a new set of plugs this morning, fitted them and fired it up. Caught first time with full choke and held steady. Also turns out I had the idle control screw way out so screwed it back in and seems ok now. Ran it up for 5 minutes, the only point I would mention is that it pops and bangs quite a bit which probably means my carbs need balancing.

Cheers guys,
Oli

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.