Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb Covers
m8kwr

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Carb Covers

Can anyone suggest any idea to cover these carbs.

At the moment all that is covering them is some metal mess. But want something a little bit more neat and tidy

Description
Description

stevec

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
What about 12 of these or similar modified to suit.
tomprescott

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Plate of ally or stainless bolted down over the entire valley with cut-outs for the trumpets to come through?

Sorry thought you meant the valley rather than the carbs themselves - yeah as ^^^ you can get striner style grills that fit into the trumpet

[Edited on 22/6/10 by tomprescott]

A bird in the hand....

blakep82

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
filters surely?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome motor, thats what I wanted to do if I could find a decent V12 E Type, but found a series 1.

K & N do some very slim chrome filters which should just fit under the bonnet, but they're close on £50 each. Those Mesh things are more restrictive than K&N's, but, you'd have to loose the trumpets, which is a slight drawback.

On my side draughts I now have short trumpets inside 75mm K & Ns.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 22/6/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
It really needs proper filtration if you want the engine to live very long. And mesh stuff just reduces airflow. K+N's would be ideal, maybe with some short stub stacks inside.....
Cheaper than a re-bore

m8kwr

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
its not my motor, glad I don't have to fill the thing, not very good on the old mpg

Would people advise to take the metal mess off for now?

It was to stop stones etc from getting into the system, as there is no metal grill on the bonnet scope.

Or would it be easier to put a grill on the bonnet, and then not filter the carbs, as they are really close to the bonnet.

They did set on fire last night as well.. the carbs that is

r1_pete

posted on 22/6/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
For road use open carbs are not a good idea, those mesh covers do stop some crap getting in, especially if they are poking through the bonnet. Any form of mesh is not going to provide sufficient filtration to protect the engine.

I maintain a set of K&N's is whats needed, if he has the room for deep filters all the better

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 22/6/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Get some K+Ns... Mesh is rubbish (lowers the BHP) and open carbs will last minutes due to all the grit and crud flying around.
zilspeed

posted on 22/6/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
A BFO panel filter right accross the top.

< br />
Lots of filtration area, plus it's by far the coolest arrangement for an air filter. Don't ask why, it just is.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.