Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modified busa sumps
Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Modified busa sumps

I'm in need of a modified hayabusa sump. I can't stretch to a dry sump kit but i have been looking at the koenig sump and swinging pick up. Where is the cheapest place to pick one of these up? Is there any other types about?
franky

posted on 28/6/10 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.novaracing.co.uk

A lot of places, ie extreme engines buy from here and re-brand.

Stick an accusump system on it and it'll perform as well as a dry sump.

Quite a bit cheaper too.

Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks but where is it on their site? All i can see is their dry sump. Was planning to put an accusump on too.
franky

posted on 28/6/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
give them a call. I can't see it either now!
Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, must have gone home now so i left them an email. Do they have a swinging pickup?
franky

posted on 28/6/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
not sure sorry.
Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
If your going swinging pick up and accusump you have to be in dry sump territory price wise ?

Of the 2 I would put much more faith in an accusump than a swinging one, aren't they designed for drag racers ? They don't swing the full 360 and can get swung and trapped away from the oil in certain circumstances ? Just my 2p.

Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently the Koenig swinging pickup only swings 180 degrees fowards and back as these are designed for drag bikes. To put a bike engine in a car you turn it round so the swing would be side to side. Is this right?
Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that to be the case, I have heard of failures though, under the right circumstances the g loads can hold the pickup against the stop as whilst its wants to swing it cant get to the other side the way it wants, make any sense ?

Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yep makes sense. I've also heard the pick up is always imersed in oil and it holds alot more than the standard sump. Apparently MK use one on their race car with no problems, they recomended for me to get the Koenig one. Would be nice to hear from people who use the different types.
Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Just been speaking to Rilltech racing in the states and he does a billet wet sump. Only problem is it $1295 (£857) plus postage! Seems very steep but he says the Koenig one doesn't work.
bob tatt

posted on 28/6/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
dont learn the expensive way like i did.
i ran a koeing sump on mine and did the crank in less than 10 laps at rockingham.
i still use it now but the engine has a fully baffeled bottom now and an accusump and a oil presssure gauge on it 8 track days later no issues what so ever you can really see the accusump working as well.
after speaking to lots of people about the koieing sump they all said the same fine on a bike but not in a car unless you are running with baffeles and a acusump.
just dont skrimp a take a chance like a did and pay the price.

richard thomas

posted on 28/6/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
http://store.powertecengineering.com/acatalog/l.html

I've used this for 3 years...no probs whatsoever, but admittedly no trackdays. Perfect for road use though!

Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest the accusump will pump oil for long enough to get round any corner on a UK circuit, I can see mine working around Gerrards at Mallory for example, probably the longest corner on any UK circuit, I was speaking with Danny at MK only last week and I must admit I was surprised when he told me the sump set up he is using particularly as a bit of money as been spent on the engine.

I have a shortened baffled sump and accusump on mine with no issues, personally having looked into the swinging pick up I left them alone and if I was considering the two of them together then I would go dry sump at a similar cost ?

eta, Bob, if you can see your accusump working what does it say about the swinging pick up and which one is keeping the engine intact ?

[Edited on 28/6/10 by Jon Ison]

Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The swinging pickup pipe and sump are only about £400 i think. What shortened sump do you have Jon?
Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Only

My sump was modded by Martin (MK engineering) chopped, squared off to add capacity, baffled around pick up and 2 plugs welded in, one for oil temp and one from draining. Think from memory lost the best part of 3 inch.

The other plus, for me anyway is pre oiling the engine before start up with the accusump, just flick the switch and you can here the oil going around the engine and the pressure gauge go up before pressing the go button.

bob tatt

posted on 28/6/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
jon i know what is keeping my engine alive and its not the swinging sump as i know from very bitter and expensive experience......
Davegtst

posted on 28/6/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
What keeping it alive then?
JF

posted on 28/6/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
....Hmm I'd say the repeated shocks of the sparkplugs reanimate the engine every time it dies.....

.....might it be the accusump?

Chet

posted on 29/6/10 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
FYI-
We were one of the first to use the Koenig oil pan and still do. We have always used it with a baffle and have not seen any issues. It is a proven solution on numerous race Busa Furys and the single seat Nemesis race car.

Please note that there are a lot of inferior "knockoffs" on the market.

The cost here in the USA is $435 + shipping.

Dry sumps add weight, additional points of failure, space issues and are not necessarily the best solution.

I strongly believe more Hayabusa engines have been destroyed through low oil levels or improper oil weight than any other causes.

Chet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rustybin

posted on 29/6/10 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
What size of accusump are people using? Where do you plumb it in?
franky

posted on 29/6/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
there's a plug in the end of the main oil gallery, its a strange size, m16x1.5 or something. Thats the best place as its where the oil needs to be.
phelpsa

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
there's a plug in the end of the main oil gallery, its a strange size, m16x1.5 or something. Thats the best place as its where the oil needs to be.

M16x1.5 isn't actually that strange a size believe it or not, quite common for oil fittings Various adaptors on sale, check out http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/. They've been very helpful with our problems recently!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
More specifically:

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/jic-to-metric-adaptors-17-c.asp

Davegtst

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chet
FYI-
We were one of the first to use the Koenig oil pan and still do. We have always used it with a baffle and have not seen any issues. It is a proven solution on numerous race Busa Furys and the single seat Nemesis race car.

Please note that there are a lot of inferior "knockoffs" on the market.

The cost here in the USA is $435 + shipping.

Dry sumps add weight, additional points of failure, space issues and are not necessarily the best solution.

I strongly believe more Hayabusa engines have been destroyed through low oil levels or improper oil weight than any other causes.

Chet

Do you have a website and do you sell the baffles aswell?
Talking to MK today, they use a Holeshot racing sump (similar but better than the Koenig apparently) and haven't had a problem for 2 years. No accusump either. Holeshots website is down i think though.

[Edited on 29/6/10 by Davegtst]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.