Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: best secure bonnet catches
RK

posted on 10/8/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
best secure bonnet catches

Looking for secure bonnet catches, as mine come unhooked all the time. Don't want to weld on tabs for pins or dzus fasteners, so what over centre design works best for you?
carpmart

posted on 10/8/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to say dzus fasteners but as you said not too I won't!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

blakep82

posted on 10/8/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
this one
http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1537-over-centre-catch.aspx
has a little tab that sitcks through for a badlock, or split pin. maybe put a tie wrap through it to stop the latch passing over it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 10/8/10 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ I have those. Although they have a oostive lock, I use a small tube of plasitc and R clip to ensure there is no way thay can be undine.

Also at the front I have long spring loaded clips, I believe as used on Caterhams, again no probs with those.

chris_harris_

posted on 10/8/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't want to weld lugs on to the chassis for Dzus fasteners, can you not rivet them on instead?

personally i looked at all the different locks and settled on aero Catches, Sikaflexed to the Bonnet, with brackest made up and rivnutted to the chassis, once set up they are great.

Regards Chris

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've riveted 'L' brackets to mine and used Dzus fasteners. Had loads of issues trying to get the 'clip-over' type to stay down. (And that is before I've even got it on the road!)

[Edited on 10/8/10 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 10/8/10 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Looking for secure bonnet catches, as mine come unhooked all the time. Don't want to weld on tabs for pins or dzus fasteners, so what over centre design works best for you?

You can still use Dzus fasteners without welding on tabs. I made four ally l brackets, bolted them to the front of the scuttle and back of the nosecone and mounted the Dzus springs on those (with the fasteners mounted in the bonnet). If you take this approach, leave the Dzus part of the brackets undrilled, mount them on the scuttle and nose cone (I used slots in the brackets to make them adjustable). Adjust them so that they are flat against the inside of the bonnet. Mark their centres and then carefully mark a temporary vertical (onto the body side) and horizontal (onto the nose or scuttle) line to mark the bracket cantres. Refit the bonnet, strap it down so it is in its final position, extend the lines to mark the bracket centres on the bonnet, and then pilot drill each one through the bonnet and brackets behind it. This gives you the centres for the fastners and their corresponding springs.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

procomp

posted on 10/8/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

You cant beat the good old bonnet springs. As long as they are fitted and under tension you cant go wrong. Simples

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 10/8/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Aerocatches - secure and elegant

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 10/8/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone! I've got a few things to think about now, but leaning towards the spring type. Hopefullly whatever I get comes before the next event!
RK

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
received boot spring type in the post one week after ordering on fleabay. Excellent!!
coozer

posted on 18/8/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I used these in stainless with the locking pins after my bonnet went into orbit. With a bit of jiggery poky they can be best placed to hold the bonnet in position as well.

http://www.protex.com/product/show/name/270-600

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.