Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh Poo! Help.
Confused but excited.

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Poo! Help.

I bought a bonnet off a Westfield Sei (to match my nose cone) and thought it would be OK to store it somewher safe and laid it flat, in it's normal mounted on the car position
Today whilst sorting some other stuff out I noticed that it has 'spread' during the summer. It is now much lower, wider and seems to have set in this new position.
Question: Is it recoverable and if so, how?
So if there are any fibreglass gurus out there and I know there must be, please any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Yours in desperation.
Cheers, John.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

nearly done

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,
exactly the same thing has happened to my Westfield and bonnet.Fortunately it only splayed out about 2" so it flex`s enough to get it on the nose cone.I was going to measure the width of the front body work and screw a piece of 2x1 with the same measurement to the underneath of the bonnet and warm it with a hot air gun to see if it would assume its original dimensions but never got around to it.

Cheers,Sean.

BenB

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Use some straps to clamp it in place on the car when it's finished and the heat of the engine will make it pliable, then when it cools it should be back to shape.
vinny1275

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Our MNR bonnet did the same - we fitted it to the car and mounted the bonnet catches - with it clamped in place it was fine after.... Depends how thick the glass on your bonnet is I guess, but ours was still plenty flexible enough to do this with...

Cheers

Vince

RazMan

posted on 4/9/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Stick it in the sunlight with weights on it or straps forcing into the shape you need. Fibreglass is a bugger for changing shape when left to its own devices - it needs to be stored in the exact shape or it will 'settle'

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 4/9/10 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
as said stick it in the sun for a bit that will make it flexible enough to get it back how it was.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/9/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the encouraging replies chaps. There may be hope for me yet.
It has spread to 44" wide at the back and sagged across the top at the front(reminds me of the sister-in-law ).
At this time of year a sunny day is not impossible here. The last few days, apart from today have been baking.
Wouldn't you know I didn't spot it until today. Guess I'm just lucky that way.
I think I shall make a wooden mould/box for it as I am not going to be fitting it any time soon.
I wonder how my clamshells are doing in the rafters?
Thanks for all the input Oh Wise Ones .
Cheers again, John.

[Edited on 4/9/10 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

stevegough

posted on 5/9/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
When I bought my kit one side of the bonnet had gone almost flat and had even cracked the gelcoat - warmed it up and stored it properly for a while, when I got the bulge fibreglassed in to it, I got him to re-inforce the back of the cracked area.

Its not perfect, but it retains its shape very well now it is on the car - just the line left in the gelcoat.....

HTH, Steve.

By the way, this is how I stored my bonnet for a year...

hang bits out of the way!
hang bits out of the way!

[Edited on 5/9/10 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.