Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonding aluminium
nearly done

posted on 11/10/10 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Bonding aluminium

I have had my bike carbs on the Westy for a few weeks and have never really been happy with the way in which the hose connects the bike carbs to the inlet manifold (issues with the silicone hose sliding of the small stub on the carbs).So what i wanted to do was bond slightly longer pieces of ali tube on to the outlet of the carbs so there is a bit more length for the hose and clip to bite onto without twisting off.I was going to use Sikaflex 221 and wondered if any one had any experience of using this or something similar.
Thanks in advance Sean.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/10/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
The silicon hose and petrol have a poor working relationship.
There is a few examples of bike carb sets falling off
perhaps a differant hose type my be the answer and maybe some stays with antivibration bobbins to support the carb set.

macc man

posted on 11/10/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to secure is to use alloy straps fitted from head to carbs. If you look in my photo archive you will see what i used.

40inches

posted on 11/10/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
As mango says, silicon is not suitable with petrol, unless it's lined with hydrocarbon elastomer, such as Samco Pro-fuel hose. I would change it for a suitable hose before I used the car again
jacko

posted on 11/10/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps i super glued the rubber hose on the carbs before J / clipping use narrow clips
they have been on for 3 + years now
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost blade

posted on 11/10/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried the original rubber link pipes from bike, they have little cut outs which locate on those little pins on your on your carbs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.