Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cost to spray car?
AdrianH

posted on 7/12/10 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cost to spray car?

I have not had this type of work done for many years, so would appreciate a general consensus of expected costs and that way I would get an idea of range from very cheap to how much!

I would like to get the aluminium panels painted in a silver not after a shiny or highly reflective finish but something not a million miles of brushed ali colour, if you understand what I mean.

I would present the car on wheels but with the nose cone, front & rear arches, scuttle and boot lid, roll bar, rear lights number plate and side indicators removed. Basically so that the car is presented with what I consider the major obstacles removed.

I appreciate it needs the panels to be cleaned, be etch primed and then sprayed with paint, possibly even with a varnish if recommended???

gotthere2.jpg
gotthere2.jpg
gotthere3.jpg
gotthere3.jpg

I seriously thought of vinyl wrapping the car, but had comments about water coming through rivets and joins in the panels from the inside and then sitting behind the plastic.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Adrian

[Edited on 8-12-10 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

macc man

posted on 7/12/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
If the weather was better I would say spray it yourself. However not realy an option at the moment.
Paint can be a major cost allow at least £150 for 2 pack and thinners etc. Cellulose is easier for
a beginner and cheaper. Labour is expensive these days. Try a few smaller one man band body shops
they work out less than the big boys. Good luck.

tegwin

posted on 8/12/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you want to spray silver panels silver? It makes no sence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Talon Motorsport

posted on 8/12/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
It would be cheaper if you just wanted the whole car painted one colour, I know the more colours and layers the painter uses the more it's likely to cost you. Painters don't like having to move every thing around the booth and remask the job every time, the more labour or work he has to do the more you could be charged. If your in no rush to have the work done get back to me about march when the new workshop is up, we could come to some sort of deal if you don't mind me slapping a company sticker on your rear tub?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 8/12/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
For Tegwin, I want the panels spayed because at present on bare aluminium there are a real pain to keep clean and now there is grit salt on the road the car is now off the road. It did quite a bit of damage to the aluminium that took a lot of solvo autosol to remove. If painted then no different from tin top on the outside. The inside gets a coat of M12.

Talon

I am trying to get the whole car, well the metal panels done in one colour, silver. So not sure if I have presented the wrong idea. as said I would remove the fibre-glass parts etc and put them back after. i like Orange and Silver.

Looking to get it done sooner if possible, otherwise I am back with having to polish every use.

Adrian

AdrianH

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I brought the car back from paint shop tonight, now starts the refit of the fibreglass and other parts without scratching it to bits!

Just back from paint
Just back from paint

I have new rear wings (after my Oh Crap moment) to fit this time with some piping. Looking also for new front cycle wing stays, looking initially at the RH zero type without the top hat, have also been told Mac1 do good ones but I need to contact them for picture.

Adrian

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nice finish.

So what did it end up costing?

I only ask as I'm inking over vinyl wrap or a re-spray...

AdrianH

posted on 13/1/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
It cost me £320. The guy said he spent 4 hours masking off!!!

Adrian

[Edited on 13-1-11 by AdrianH]

aka_shortie

posted on 17/2/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
looks really good and not a bad price at all. Im looking at building a zero next year and want the panels painting
FASTdan

posted on 18/2/11 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Looks nice that - was reading the earlier parts of the thread wondering why you'd want to sacrifice natural ali finish for paint, but having seen that it does look good

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/2/11 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
looks good

I had a bare alloy bonnet and back panel for a while on the falcon but it is a pain to keep clean and shiny so their now painted

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 19/2/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got the car out of the garage today in between the rain, so not a sunny day for pictures, but looks OK.

newlook1s
newlook1s

Newlook2s
Newlook2s

Newlook3s
Newlook3s

Not that much different as one can see.

Now give me sun and warm days!

Adrian

[Edited on 19-2-11 by AdrianH]

Miks15

posted on 19/2/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I like it, looks better I think, the paint is more consistent and more finish imo
austin man

posted on 19/2/11 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
cant agree more the ally is a pain to keep polished and its reflective nature is a pain to those followin and also the reflection off the bonnet aint nice for the driver if your sat too high. Looks goos and I think yo got a good deal for £320

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.