Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XJR6 Engine in an E36 3 series BMW
andyw7de

posted on 3/3/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
XJR6 Engine in an E36 3 series BMW

Ive been a bit busy with the car over the last couple of weeks and finally with the help of a couple of mates cut the front end off the beemer and buils a new space frame front end

gathering up the courage to cut off the chassis legs was the first hurdle, but one overcome there was no going back

we then started to build the frame tying it all back into the old chassis rails and through the bulkhead into the cage, hopefully bringing the whole structure together and getting as much rigidity as possible. Whilst rebuilding this we took the chance to widen the original track so that i dont need spacres on the front wheels

Once we got it all sorted and checked and triple checked from all the sizes and jigged up suspension we welded it up and got all the engine box and new high performance alloy rad fitted

Im well chuffed with the result

Still got the exhaust manifolds to build then it all comes back out again so that i can get the whole engine bay painted.

Just need a sparky to get it all wired up and redo a new loom for the car so that i can get rid of the tonnes of BMW wires that run everywhere

Im really looking forward to getting some track time this year.... fingers crossed

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

coozer

posted on 3/3/11 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice but I can't help thinking a massive yank V8 would have been my choice going to all that trouble. Just a thought....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Miks15

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Very nice but I can't help thinking a massive yank V8 would have been my choice going to all that trouble. Just a thought....

In an E36? Nah gotta be a straight six really.

But how come you went for an XJR6 engine as opposed to an M3 engine?

Work looks very good though!

steve m

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
So, lets get this straight . your putting a piece of english history, into a piece of euro trash ie BMW ?

BMW = over rated overpriced, and over here

most modern yuppies favour an Audi now, BMW is so 1980's

Minicooper

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy a XJR6 for peanuts and they are excellent motors

Cheers
David

andyw7de

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just to answer a few questions.

I opted for the XJR6 engine for a couple of reasons, but really boiled down to price.

BMW M3 engine £1500 ++, stock engine 300 - 320 BHP depending if EVO or not and vanos issues etc also expensive to tune

Jag engine £600, stock engine 340 ish easy and cheap to get up to 400 BHP without internal work, Bomb proof

I didnt want a V8 because the straight six suited the car better, i can use the existing exhaust.

the E36 chassis whilst maybe being an 80's throwback is a fantastic chassis and a superb handling car with masses of aftermarket bits for track use. its not too big but certaily not a squeeze to get into.

Whilst M3 cars are expensive lower spec cars are dirt cheap.

End of the day i like jags and love the noise they make

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

jacko

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice keep the posts / photos coming
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 3/3/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=72499

Have you seen this

nothing to do with me
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 3/3/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Wicked

look forward to the start up vid.

Yazza54

posted on 4/3/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyw7de
Just to answer a few questions.

I opted for the XJR6 engine for a couple of reasons, but really boiled down to price.

BMW M3 engine £1500 ++, stock engine 300 - 320 BHP depending if EVO or not and vanos issues etc also expensive to tune

Jag engine £600, stock engine 340 ish easy and cheap to get up to 400 BHP without internal work, Bomb proof

I didnt want a V8 because the straight six suited the car better, i can use the existing exhaust.

the E36 chassis whilst maybe being an 80's throwback is a fantastic chassis and a superb handling car with masses of aftermarket bits for track use. its not too big but certaily not a squeeze to get into.

Whilst M3 cars are expensive lower spec cars are dirt cheap.

End of the day i like jags and love the noise they make

Makes sense. Looking good, it's your car anyway.. No need to justify your choices.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

franky

posted on 4/3/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Good idea. Looks great!

The e36 is an awesome chassis and very well put together. Getting 400bhp from a m3 is extremely expensive N/A so if thats the figure you're after its a great idea

speedyxjs

posted on 4/3/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=72499

Have you seen this

nothing to do with me
Jacko

Surely that needs an IVA?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.