Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto starter
nearly done

posted on 21/3/11 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto starter

following on from my recent fried starter motor question (a new battery still couldnt coax the bl***y thing into life, the escaping smoke must have been the starters death knell) , the local scrappy has a pinto starter in but it is off a 1.6 (coincidently its the same as the dead one).This poses two questions firstly is the 1.6 starter the same as a 2.0 one and secondly is it likely that using the wrong starter would have killed it in the first place?
Any thoughts ????
Failing that does any body know the correct type of starter for a 2.0 injection lump circa 1987 there are six possible ones to choose from!!!

Many thanks,Sean

snapper

posted on 21/3/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
They are one and the same. 1.6 and 2.0L
There are a few different starters, one is a high output 1.4 Kw.
The original problem is likely to be bad earth connection, I had starting problems, connected 2 batteries and my mates Desiel Insignia, made his lights dim when I tried to start then the starter lost it's smoke.
Re did all the earths, reset the idle advance, no problem since

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nearly done

posted on 21/3/11 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Snapper,
i have seen one or two posts about starter motor earthing.I was under the impression that the starter is earthed via the engine earth (currently one of engine/gearbox adjacent to the starter) are you saying the actual starter its self needs one? At the moment I have the wire from the starter switch to the small terminal on the solenoid and the battery cable and alternator/fuse box wires to one of the other m6 thread bolts on the starter and nothing else.
Starting to scratch my head now.

Cheers,Sean

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
the starter is earthed by just bolting it to the engine, there is no seperate cable, though the engine itself should be earthed by a braded strap to the chassis and the chassis to the battery with another braded strap. That way all the heavy current used in starting is never passed to the smaller wires like that for the lights. If you look at a production car this is just how they do it too.

[Edited on 21/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.