Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House insurance help
Confused but excited.

posted on 29/3/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
House insurance help

Please, please, please. Does anyone know a company that will insure domestic garage/workshop/outbuildings contents for more than £3K?

Bloody SAGA Insurance!
I have had a guy mythering me for weeks to take out house insurance with them.
I said I was looking for someone that would insure my garage contents for £20k not the usual £2-3k max.
"No problem" says he and quotes very reasonable terms for the house and outbuildings contents, all new for old, as I have three lathes (That's not as impressive as it sounds. two are older than me. The serial numbers are single digit in roman numerals , but would cost an arm and a leg to replace), plus a lifetime of collecting various power and hand tools. Plus the locost-in-progress etc.
So I sign up and am a happy bunny.
Today I happen to glance at the pamphlet that came with the policy.
It states "Garage contents cover, £3K max".
'Oh, I'd better check that' me thinks.
A quick phone call confirms that fact that the guy selling me the policy is a lying/incompetent pratt.
So now I have no house/garage cover, and deep meaningful conversations with Trading Standards.
I wouldn't mind but we have being discussing my requirements for weeks and he asked all kinds of questions about my security measures for the garage.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

bigruss

posted on 29/3/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
marks and spencer were the only place I could find that would include a decent level of cover for the garage.

Theirs is unlimited

fesycresy

posted on 29/3/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've been with Prudential for years and they have to honour the £40k outbuildings from when I first started with them (16 years ago).

They are pushing the premium all the time, but the only other place I have found is Nationwide Building Society.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Confused but excited.

posted on 29/3/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.
Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.....

Mal

posted on 29/3/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware that most household policies exclude motor vehicle parts and accessories.
So if you have a car battery and a box of AA torch batteries on your garage shelf that are lost due to say, fire or theft, you would only be compensated for the loss of the AA batteries.

Confused but excited.

posted on 29/3/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Then the word 'car' will never be mentioned in relation to my engineering projects.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.