Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: using unleaded petrol with leaded additive in unleaded engine :(
Fishface

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
using unleaded petrol with leaded additive in unleaded engine :(

I went to fill up some jerry cans at the local garage as ive waited 2 and a half years to get my kitcar started for the first time and nearly got linched (bad timing huh) In my stupid desperation after trying unsuccessfully to sythphom petrol out our other cars I thought i would use the jerry can of petrol for the mower. Put it in the tank, not enough to start the car! Then the next day I realised that the petrol and mower as given to me by the father in law was using unleaded with redex lead replacement additive. Have I messed up big time or do you think time I get a couple of cans of normal unleaded in the tank it will be ok???? What a prat huh. Ive been so patient and methodical and I was like a crazed madman tried to finally start, emotion got the better of me
mookaloid

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
he he - for going to fill a jerry can

Should be no problem with the redex - even if you have a cat I'd be suprised if it caused an issue.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Fishface

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I know! I was pretty desperate and feeling quite hard done by, id had the day off planned and everything. Phew, thank goodness for that. Thanks for the quick response
eddie99

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'd just disconnect fuel pipes at the engine, run fuel pump through and empty the tank... Put unleaded petrol in the tank, connect it back up and there you go

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Fishface

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
only trouble is, the amount ive put in wont reach the bottom of the pipe to even get the pump going. Was probably about a third of a jerry can.
PSpirine

posted on 1/4/12 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just fill the rest of the tank with unleaded and you'll be fine. I don't think it will cause any issues in that quantity.
wilkingj

posted on 1/4/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt worry too much. Empty as much as you can out, and fill with as much unleaded as you can.
If you cant empty much out, still fill with as much as unleaded as you can.
ie Dilute as much as you can.

I agree... I dont think you will do any long term harm. Its mote like you have been driving the last 10k miles like it.

Ive started cars on far worse mixes in the past without long term damage.

Also if its you suspect its the fuel, put a large whiff of Propane or Butane from a blowpamp or camping stove in the air intake and see if it will start on that. This has never failed me in the past. It will prove the engine runs even if only enough to start it.
My mate used WD40 on his Jetski to start it when it was being troublesome. After all its a oil mixture with a flamable gas propellent in the can.
You could even use Hair Spray! But this leaves a sticky residue everywhere. Not a good idea. But great for firing Spud guns.
Check their site for what they have used as a flamable propellent...
Its amazing what you can use in a Spud Gun

Linky

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 1/4/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
it will be fine on the pinto i used to put a drop of redex led replacement in the tank as it run better with it. when i put the saab engine in i forgot there was led replacement in the fuel and it still started up and run fine.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.