Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to build an MEV Exocet in under 4 mins !! - Stoneleigh 2012
Sonic7

posted on 6/5/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
How to build an MEV Exocet in under 4 mins !! - Stoneleigh 2012

Nice to see someone putting a show on, even if it is a little tongue and cheek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbXnnwOj3E&list=UUwqWND1n8GSuNWxRYXryEgA&index=1&feature=plcp

nigel

withersdelivers

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for the link , was as the show but was busy every time they did this! nice 1.
if only it was that easy ay!

Furyous

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
And then 6 months of retesting and reworking to get it through the IVA.
Irony

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I personally think the exocet is a aquired taste but the marketing of the company is a bit of fresh air in the kitcar industry. I saw them at Top Gear Live and other shows this year. They just have a passionate attitude

More manufacturers in my opinion should try more aggressive marketing and have a half decent show stand. MEV have come from nowhere to having a large kitcar market share in just a few years

The Venom Project

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I agree,

The exocet is not to everyones taste, but having a car that you don't need to do any major engine transplants on must be a good thing. Its not my cup of tea, I tend to go for dafter creations from RTR like my TR1KE

However last year at Newark, I am sure MEV along with RTR had 11 cars on the stand, all different models, amazing, not many kit car companies can boast that kind of range of cars, I love the Exoskeletal design, I like how I can see everything working on my TR1KE, its very un-nerving for passengers not use to seeing the wheel so close

It's great to show customers potentially how easy it will be to transfer the entire body off and fit the new chassis.

Of course its not that straight forward, but for a novice first time builder, its not as daunting as building a car from just a chassis.

I have built two vehicles now, both took a lot of thought and design for lots of brackets etc: But that is half the fun indeed, I am glad I finally have a vehicle to have fun in, and despite most of my friends convinced I prefer to build than drive my creations, they are very wrong, I love my TR1KE, I love driving it, and everyone so far loves being a passenger.....

I seem to have drifted off the original subject

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

BenB

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
And then 6 months of retesting and reworking to get it through the IVA.

IS that necessary? Isn't it keeping the standard chassis along the lines of those god awful fake Audi TTs that use to burden the streets

ashg

posted on 7/5/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
i just put one through iva. its in this months ckc. simply put it was 100 times easier than a 7 style car, you can see a lot of work went into making it easy to build and iva. no worries about emissions, brake balance, wiring, pedal setup, usual sharp edges, seating position as its all standard mazda gear. at the end of the day if it had to loose a bit of its good looks to gain all the above then its a pretty good trade off.

also having driven it i can whole heartedly say its ride and drive-ability are a lot lot more refined than any seven on the market, although as you would expect its not quite as good on the absolute ultimate handling edge as a tricked out 7. but what i really want to get across is that straight out of the box it actually drives so well and is so much fun that you actually forget what it looks like.

i know an awful lot of seven drivers that were disappointed with their cars that they built until they had been professionally set-up. the exocet can be built and aligned to the marks stamped on the mazda subframes and will drive well out of the box without any funny traits. how can you knock that?

so for all those people that point and snigger. I say go have a drive in the demonstrator you will be surprised at how good it actually is.

my view is that the exocet is a brilliant route into the kit car world for a first timer or for someone who wants something a bit different from a 7. yes its a bit ugly from some angles but its cheep, easy to build, easy to iva, drives very well (which i think is the important bit), and uses a modern donor. what more do you want? what would make it better? personally i think it hits its target market perfectly and lets face it there have been a lot of uglier kit cars over the years.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Irony

posted on 7/5/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with all of the above. It seems to me that some kit car manufacturers are actually beginning to believe that their public image is vitally important to the future of their businesses. If you can maintain a happy customer base then they will almost market the manufacturers products for them.
Valtra

posted on 7/5/12 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
most of the MEV skeleton type cars can look a tad gawky (Don't get the impression I don't like the concepts) but to me the Sonic 7 is a cracking looking car and would get my money if I were in that market.

Car of the show was the Razor trike for me, certainly in style for your cash terms . not sure I'd like to crash in one though

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

locoboy

posted on 7/5/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
They unveiled a new bike engined vehicle today utilising the hayabusa engine but at 5k plus vat for the chassis and bodywork I think they are massively off the mark with that one. I asked one of their staff to justify the price tag and he absolutely flounderd and gave no justification for it at all
Now I think the Sonic 7 is a different kettle of fish all together

[Edited on 7/5/12 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

D Beddows

posted on 7/5/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I love MEV despite what you might think from some of my previous comments , love the ideas, love the enthusiasm - wish they'd move on from the exoskelington thing as tbh it's a bit 2009 - that new car would look amazing with sides (waaaaaaay better then the Haynes single seater from what we've seen of that so far!!). I'm also actually really interested in the superlite MX5 thing as well - well I would be if I could see some pictures of what you get for your money.......
stevec

posted on 7/5/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about naming a car after a French missile that killed a lot of our service men.

Steve.

thefreak

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
We've just finished building our MX150-R and had it's first race last week at Snett.
It takes a little getting used to, especially coming from a track MX5, but after a few laps, I'd got a bit more confidence in the torrential rain.

We started the build at the begining of February, and had it's first test day at Combe 23rd April. There's not many kits out there which are as straight forward as that to put together. We didn't have a lot of mechanical knowledge and roped in the help of a good friend and between the 3 of us we've finished it
Now I've got to pay for a test day for the missus and the mate to let them have a play in it to say thanks lol

Oh, and ended up blowing the engine up in the last race, so spent this week swapping the engine out. Again, no major issues with getting the engine out. We may tweak the chassis a little in the summer break to allow the box to come out easier, but started the removal Wednesday evening and by the end of saturday the new one was in and running

Looks is all down to personal preference. I actually quite like the styling. It's moved away from the same old 7-esque style roadsters. Without the rollcage it's around 600kgs as well, with the full race spec cage and extras we weighed in around 770kg.

The engine is tried and tested, and is very easily charged, and the spares are 10-a-penny. I picked up a replacement engine for £90.00, a spare box for £35.00 and looking at picking up a couple of spare cars for bits/breaking for less than £500.
With the Ford donors becoming more sparse, the MX5 is a perfect donor. If anyone is around Hullavington at the end of the month, they're more than welcome to come for a ride out.

Irony

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
Not sure about naming a car after a French missile that killed a lot of our service men.

Steve.

Agree - always amazes me that when people name their products or business why they don't spend ten minutes googling said name.

Cafe Nero always makes me cringe. Named the same as a tyrannical Roman emperor who burn't now half of Rome so he could build a bigger palce. I think he also married is own sister.

A friend of mine set up a plumbing business calling it 'Clear Blue Plumbing' not realising that 'Clear Blue' is one of those pregnancy test kits

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.