Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this forum still about building cars?
designer

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Is this forum still about building cars?

Or, has it lost direction?

Just thought I would ask the question!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mikeb

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
10 out of the 18 posts listed on the front page are car related. Not stastically proven lol but yes I think it is

[Edited on 8/10/12 by mikeb]

loggyboy

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Oh god its that time again... it must have been at least a few months since this subject reered its head.

Mistral Motorsport

scootz

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I just looked at the first 20 on the 'todays posts' list and only 2 of them were non car related (this thread being one of them!).

It's Evolution Baby!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
It's because the weather's cr*p and we are in between the end of summer and the start of the rebuild season so need to 'talk' about something I guess?

Having said that, weather was gorgeous yesterday, so whacked a few more smiley miles on the Locost, gotta make the most of those days

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

nick205

posted on 8/10/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
On the whole yes it is IMHO.

Does it matter if people also tap into the wealth of general (and specific) knowledge available through a varied membership?

To me it makes the forum a richer place that people are willing to share their knowledge outside of a very niche activity.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Well said nick

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

belgian2b

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

is a three wheeler considered as a car ?

Gerardo

ChrisLeary

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think a three wheeler is definitely a car, and even if it's not, who care's, we're all friends here, and with the huge wealth of knowledge readily available on here why should every topic be car related?

I also think it's quite amusing that everyone who has the opinion the forum is still, most of the time, car related.....are contributors to the forum costs to keep it available to people. Just my opinion.

ATB,

Chris

[Edited on 8/10/12 by ChrisLeary]

whitestu

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hello,

Gerardo

If it is good enough for Dell Boy...

[img] Van
Van
[/img]

loggyboy

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
In the eyes of the law a three wheel isnt a car. In which case should we ask ChrisW to delete all non 'car' related posts? including the 3 wheeler section?!!

Mistral Motorsport

Peteff

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
In the eyes of the law a three wheel isnt a car. In which case should we ask ChrisW to delete all non 'car' related posts? including the 3 wheeler section?!!

You need a car license to drive one now, even a bike based trike unless you have grandad privileges.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

designer

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Of the 18 Newest Forum Topics, 7 are not about 'building' cars.

3-wheelers are the future. All major manufacturers have design studies and concepts on them, and they use 25% less resources so are more 'eco' friendly.

And if you build your own they have fewer parts, for a quicker, cheaper, lighter build

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Hello,

Gerardo

Technically speaking its a tricycle. Whether it has a car or is open bodied, its still a trike.
I suppose it can be considered as either a Car or a bike depending on what body, if any has been fitted.

The DVLA taxation class will be Tricycle for either body, its down to it having 3 wheels.

The weight and engine size of the vehicle will play a part in its tax class. There is more than one Trike Tax classification.
I dont know what happens after 450Kgs weight.

LINKY

Electrically powered trike under 450Kgs is TAX FREE... Now theres a thought!

Linky to Notes on Tax Classifications

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

wilkingj

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Now.... Back to the original thread...

I dont really mind at all if there are non car / bike / tricycle threads.
Everyone on here is usually very very helpful.
This forum does not have, or tolerate the chavvy "I'll smash yer teef in for callin my purple car crap" type of people.
Whilst there is some very dry and cutting humour, I have not seen it go really bad in the 8 years I have been here.
There is a HUGE collective knowlege here, and why shouldnt we tap into it, and help each other. This is what makes this forum so good.

My only comment would to be to keep it under the correct Thread sections / headings.

As pointed out its end of driving season, and not quite the build season.
Also many of us have either built and / or finished building. But we are still here, and join in the general conversations.

Its one of the best forums I have come across.
Its no bad thing...

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

welderman

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
just updated my build from last weeks few hours, very much car related.

Well its a BEC does that count

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

mcerd1

posted on 8/10/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Of the 18 Newest Forum Topics, 7 are not about 'building' cars.

so thats just 7 threads you don't need to read if you don't want to

quote:
Originally posted by designer3-wheelers are the future. All major manufacturers have design studies and concepts on them, and they use 25% less resources so are more 'eco' friendly.

And if you build your own they have fewer parts, for a quicker, cheaper, lighter build

I find that hard to take at face value.... it can't be as simple as 25% less because its got 3 out of the 4 wheels

if the remaining 3 wheels need to share all the load so they need to be heavier unless you make them from higher grade materials (that cost more £ and energy to make) or they are already over designed already - either way it won't be a fair comparison, you have to compare like for like (i.e. the lightest 4 wheel vs the lightest 3 wheel)

there will be some saving in fewer parts, but only if those parts are as simple and cheap to make - i.e. replacing a bog std beam/dead axle with a couple of rubber bushes (like you'd find on a small hatchback) with a fancy needle rollered swing arm, I recon the old beam axle will work out alot cheaper !

I'm not saying that 3 wheels can't be more efficent (especially for small 1 / 2 seaters), but its not going to be 25% better !

[Edited on 8/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

designer

posted on 8/10/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
The theory involved in building a reverse trike is complex, but the main question is where you put the single wheel.

When a car corners fast, weight is transferred to the outside front wheel, whether the car has 3 or 4 wheels, if the 'trike' has a single front wheel, it will tip, but, a reverse trike, with two wheels up front, won't and, as the single rear wheel experiences no weight transfer, the vehicle will remain stable.

When braking and steering, trikes are the same as a four wheeler and, like a tripod, dynamically stable at all times, and have 30% less polar movement for better handling and 25% lower rolling resistance, for lower energy consumption.

TheGiantTribble

posted on 8/10/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I like how this topic started off as one of the 'not about cars'
and has changed into about cars, and yes I think 3 wheelers are cars
just not proper ones

Diversity is the spice of life (or something like that)

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/10/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think this forum would be mind numbing if it was purely about cars or even just about one type of car and read like a manual i.e. dry and dull

It’s always been like this and that’s what’s kept it so successful

If you don’t want to see the “irrelevant non car posts” just go to the forum screen and just select car related topics

zilspeed

posted on 8/10/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Loving the fact that this thread appears in the "Anything Else Car Related" section.

Oh the irony...

pajsh

posted on 8/10/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
This forum has always been a bit like mates meeting down the pub.

We generally meet because we have a shared interest but occasionally we need help with a problem that's nothing to do with what we have in common.

Sometimes there's not much to talk about and sometimes we disagree and fall out, but generally we keep coming back to see what's going on.

Without my "mates" on here I would not have been able to build my car and solve a whole host of other problems along the way.

It's one of the better forums around.

Let's keep it that way.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

bi22le

posted on 8/10/12 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
This is non car related and I have read all three pages, waste of my time. . . .

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

TimEllershaw

posted on 8/10/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
This forum has always been a bit like mates meeting down the pub.

We generally meet because we have a shared interest but occasionally we need help with a problem that's nothing to do with what we have in common.

Sometimes there's not much to talk about and sometimes we disagree and fall out, but generally we keep coming back to see what's going on.

Without my "mates" on here I would not have been able to build my car and solve a whole host of other problems along the way.

It's one of the better forums around.

Let's keep it that way.

Agreed.

I love to lurk on here and see what everybody is up to, car and non-car related.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

ReMan

posted on 8/10/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
no not 100% about car building, but certainly 99% BY CAR BUILDERS
And better for it

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.