Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Cooled Engines
scootz

posted on 11/3/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Air Cooled Engines

I guess every air-cooled engine is different, but how would 'most' fare if they were positioned out of the direct airstream... say behind a leading bulkhead (with no sides)?

How did Porsche / VW manage to get away with sticking them in the back of vehicles?

It's Evolution Baby!

fazerruss

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How did Porsche / VW manage to get away with sticking them in the back of vehicles?

The same way Fiat did with the 125,126

Ducting will be your solution

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

fazerruss

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
And the Fiat's had a big fan on back of alternator blowing air past the cylinders

scootz

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers... I can do that!

I didn't know if they employed engine bay fans or the likes.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
And the Fiat's had a big fan on back of alternator blowing air past the cylinders

Lol... you must have posted that as I was in the middle of my last message!

Cheers.

It's Evolution Baby!

fazerruss

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
technically speaking you could say these engines were super charged as some of the air from the fan was directed into the carb!

It made a spine shattering 16bhp or was it 26?!!

scootz

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ah.. so does that principle change when it's an ickle air-cooled bike-engine pumping out 150bhp and 100ft/lbs of torque???

It's Evolution Baby!

rdodger

posted on 11/3/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Could you fit a large ish oil cooler to help out?
designer

posted on 11/3/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to use flexible ducting to direct air to the bike's radiator. But, if the bikes air cooled, I will use the same to direct air ro the fins.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 11/3/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
quote:

The same way Fiat did with the 125,126

Ducting will be your solution

Not the 125
Fiat 125 was a hot watercooled twincam longer wheelbase luxury version of of the 124 -- quite a nice motor but ooh the rust.
A re-engined version became the Polski-Fiat 125p which was even worse than the Lada.

[Edited on 11/3/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

fazerruss

posted on 11/3/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I meant the fiat 500 (early one with the 500cc air cooled twin). I thought It was also known as the 125 preceeding the 126.

clairetoo

posted on 11/3/13 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
The 125 was a cortina sized four door car , with that fabulous twin cam engine (1.8 I think - I do remember it went and sounded nice )
Parents had one - JVG 171G - I wonder if its still out there somewhere.........doubt it somehow , it was starting to rust well at just four years old........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

whitestu

posted on 11/3/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Citroen GS engines were at the front, but the barrels were covered with metal ducting with all the air blown round by a crank mounted fan.

I should think it would work fine at the other end of a car.

Stu

russbost

posted on 11/3/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
The VW air cooled lumps also had a massive (probs 20" dia or thereabouts?) fan on the front of the engine which forced air thro' the cylinder & head fins - this was all tightly ducted to ensure the air was driven through effectively, this fan was also used to drive air thro the heat exchangers for the in car heating.

I would be very careful using an air cooled bike lump which was intended for use in the main airstream (remember bikes stay moving the vast majority of the time too, they spend far less time stationary in traffic), just putting a fan in front of the engine probably won't be enough without some very hard to create ducting to make it go where it's needed, if you can get some really big ducts into the airstream that might have a chance of working.

All that said, most Japanese bike "air" cooled engines are actually much more oil cooled than air, so with a good airstream to the oil cooler you'd probably be ok - I would suggest speak to someone who has used the type of engine in question in competition to get an idea of how forgiving it is.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scootz

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

It's Evolution Baby!

Fishface

posted on 12/3/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
i thought its said that people forget that vw engines get a lot of their cooling through the oil itself

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.