Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx12r silver spark plugs
Doyleee

posted on 9/6/13 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
zx12r silver spark plugs

Hi i'm doing a few bits before rolling road tune up and wanted to change spark plugs just wondered if anyone had used these if so are they any good?
Nology A0S Silver Spark Plug for a Kawasaki ZX 12R | eBay

Peteff

posted on 10/6/13 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
At £13.80 each I'd stick with something I know works.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Slimy38

posted on 10/6/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
At £13.80 each I'd stick with something I know works.

Agreed, I've never seen any reason to move away from NGK.

MikeRJ

posted on 10/6/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Iridium is used by respected spark plug manufacturers (NGK and Denso) because it's extremely hard with a very high melting point, so you can use a small electrode which gives reduced voltage requirements without it wearing out quickly.

The melting point of silver is way below that of iridium (and platinum), and it's a far softer metal. The better conductivity is of no consequence whatsoever in an HT system, where the coil secondary and HT leads (and suppressors within the plugs, if any) will have several orders of magnitude higher resistance then the centre electrode.

Nology also pedal some magic HT leads called "hotwires" for outrageous amounts of money and they don't provide the claimed benefits either. Pure marketing guff.

In conclusion, stick to NGK.

Hellfire

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
We've used normal NGKs and Iridium & Platinum NGKs. Couldn't tell the difference between any of them performance wise. Not sure whether they'd be longer lasting though...

Phil

Slimy38

posted on 10/6/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Interestingly, did anyone notice that they poo-poo Iridium in the advert?

Hellfire, you are right, the perceived benefit of Iridium is longer lasting rather than a performance improvement. They are considered standard for my tintop, with a 40,000 mile replacement interval. I would be looking to replace standard plugs every 10,000 miles.

Doyleee

posted on 11/6/13 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys take your point MikeRJ about silver having a lower melting point wanted to stick with the NGK CR9EKPA which is what i believe i have in at the moment I'm not sure when they were last changed but I've had the car for about three years now and done less than 1000miles and was'nt sure if these silver ones were new to the market or tried and tested by you guys
Thanks for your help i shall be ordering some NGK's straight away

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.