Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Discovery 1 - Fault found!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/12/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Discovery 1 - Fault found!

After much hoo-har and noise, the Disco finally got pushed into the garage to investigate the strange noise she had followed by a few days later the starter spinning but not the engine

Spent a couple of days under the truck giving my shoulders a workout and moved gearbox back/engine forward to discover ('scuse the pun) this...

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

For the non-Disco types out there, the 8 small holes connect to the crank and the outer edge connects to the torque converter in the auto gearbox. As you can imagine, she ain't going nowhere in that state!

New part ordered and then the fun of re-building begins. What else is the Christmas break for?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeR

posted on 20/12/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
bit of weld and it will be fine ......

(thats not a serious suggestion).

is it a common fault? seems a strange failure.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/12/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yep! More common than you would think. £90 posted for a replacement from Ashcroft transmissions, much cheaper than a fresh engine if a broken crank had been the fault

Just the pain of the rebuild now

snapper

posted on 21/12/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yes near Xmas car breakdowns
I did front brakes and tyres last week, this week rear brakes and ordering drive shafts, hub bearings and centre drive shaft rebuild on a Mondeo

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
It does seem to be a relatively common problem on Disco's compared to most automatic cars in general. I wonder if the input shaft to the gearbox isn't well aligned to the crank so the flex plate has to continuously err..flex?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/12/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, the way this thing has gone, it looks more like it just ain't man enough to take the torque over a long period of time. The 300Tdi is a bit of a torquey beast and it does seem far more common that you would expect from such an agricultural 4x4

chrism

posted on 21/12/13 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be something in the auto transmission not releasing correctly when stopping so the engine torque fights against the stopped gearbox with the flexplate being the weakpoint.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Unlikely to simply be caused by excessive torque, though that would exacerbate things. The way it has fractured in a circle right around the end of the crank suggests it's been flexing, since this would be the point of maximum stress. Check that the dowels between engine and bellhousing are present!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/12/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Mike. Yes, the dowels are present but the end of the shaft on the TC looks marked a fair bit, so I'm wondering if someone has wellied it putting it back together at some point i the past? All seemed very free when I split the box and engine and the TC turns nice so I'll have to see what she is like once back together.

Checked the distance from TC to bell housing face and that is in-spec so at least I know the TC won't wreck the oil pump when I fit it all back together (I hope! )

britishtrident

posted on 23/12/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Could it be something in the auto transmission not releasing correctly when stopping so the engine torque fights against the stopped gearbox with the flexplate being the weakpoint.

That's not the way conventional automatics work, the torque convertor never actually releases drive it just stalls (slips) when the car is stopped against the brakes, release the handbrake and without apllying throttle on a level surface the car should creep forward at about 2mph

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 23/12/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Unlikely to simply be caused by excessive torque, though that would exacerbate things. The way it has fractured in a circle right around the end of the crank suggests it's been flexing, since this would be the point of maximum stress. Check that the dowels between engine and bellhousing are present!

I would agree. fatigue fracture due to flexing these plates are not exactly stiff, on other vechiles I have seen a few of these plates that are distorted. and a few where the torque converter retaining bolts repeatedly work loose.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Daddylonglegs

posted on 23/12/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I did notice was that there were 2 bolts missing from the bell housing when I stripped it all down. Probably from previous work I guess, unless they vibrated loose? They were both on the upper offside of the housing (not the one which is a b***h to remove, I got that one OK )

Not sure if that would be enough to allow movement?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well, she finally runs. After 9 months off the road, the truck started within a few seconds and runs lovely!

Just got to sort out replacing the sill body mounts now ready for the MOT

Wheels244

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.yrmlandrover.com/epages/BT3575.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3575/Products/041/SubProducts/041-0001

I've used their stuff loads of times - really good quality and reasonable prices.

HTHs

Rob

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/1/14 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
http://www.yrmlandrover.com/epages/BT3575.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3575/Products/041/SubProducts/041-0001

I've used their stuff loads of times - really good quality and reasonable prices.

HTHs

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I was recommended a chap on eBay (frog12113) by someone on the LR4x4 forum. He reckoned they were OK too so I ordered 2 mounts and 2 sets of rubbers etc. Just need to get the old bu**ers off now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.