Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG TC restoration progress
Mike Wood

posted on 19/5/21 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Any update on this interesting project please?

Cheers
Mike

SteveWallace

posted on 20/5/21 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the prompt. Sorry, I'm not great at doing updates. This project is a slow burn as I have a lot of other stuff to do. The following are some photos that I already had in reduced in size to post here. I'll do some more when I have a moment as I've just finished rebuilding the engine

Making quarter panels
Making quarter panels

I had to make new quarter panels by clamping sheet metal against the wood frame and bending to shape. Needed a lot more clamps than shown here

quarter panel
quarter panel

Happy with the finished result

primer tub
primer tub

Part of the scuttle top was rotten so I had to make and weld new bits in place on both sides

welded scuttle top
welded scuttle top

Trial fit of rear wing to new body tub. Took ages to get it to fit this well. There is a strip of beading to go between the two to hide any minor deviation

Description
Description

Finally for now, I've made new seat bases

new seat base
new seat base

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

SteveWallace

posted on 20/5/21 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just a couple more.

Firstly, more on making the new seat bases

making seat base
making seat base

Then: The original steering wheel was rusty and the original coating had mostly flaked off.

steering wheel before
steering wheel before

After a clean up and minor repairs, I had it powder coated for £30. It looks as good as new and at a considerable saving over buying a reproduction one at a cost of ca £500.

steering wheel after
steering wheel after

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

perksy

posted on 20/5/21 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
This will be lovely when its all done

Thanks for the update

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/5/21 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
your getting on well with that good work
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 17/8/21 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just another quick update. I've just noticed when I started this thread. It's taken me seven years to get to this point.

I've been working on the rear wings. This was more challenging than I thought that it would be as I discovered that I didn't have a matched pair (they changed profile over the years). I ended up having to cut and reshape one, but now they look the same to me and end the same distance off the ground. They are now in 2k epoxy primer until I'm ready to do the full paint job.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

SteveWallace

posted on 17/8/21 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've also rebuilt the engine. I had to get the bores rebored to oversized and also the crank reground. New valves in the head as well.

Engine on bench ready to strip down

Description
Description

Bare block ready for rebuild

Description
Description

Test fit of reground crank with new shells

Description
Description

New valves

Description
Description

Rebuilt engine in car (still needs the carbs)

Description
Description

SteveWallace

posted on 17/8/21 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Finally for now. I'm making a new dashboard. Two layers of plywood covered with the modern equivalent of rexine and chrome edging. I'm working on the centre console at the moment

Description
Description

Description
Description

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/8/21 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
Your getting on well labour of love that one. You can really see how much the water passages have been eaten away probably many decades of just water being used, hopefully the block is not so bad inside. I'm surprised how modern the combustion chambers look, although the crank is quite the opposite Are those hardened valve seats?

[Edited on 18/8/21 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike Wood

posted on 12/2/22 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Any update on the restoration/running car please?

Cheers
Mike

SteveWallace

posted on 23/2/22 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Not much progress made since my last update I'm afraid. This is only a summer project for me as I have too many other things to do during the rest of the year working as a volunteer at an observatory delivering outreach and running a project for them to convert a Victorian underground reservoir into a planetarium - I can post more on that if anyone's interested, but it's obviously well off topic for this forum.

There are a good few bits ready to come together though, so hopefully the MG will look a lot more like a car at the end of this summer.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/2/22 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
working as a volunteer at an observatory delivering outreach and running a project for them to convert a Victorian underground reservoir into a planetarium - I can post more on that if anyone's interested, but it's obviously well off topic for this forum.

wow that does sound interesting, wish there was something like that near me.

HowardB

posted on 24/2/22 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
please share more about the planetarium - Nottingham is not far and I would be interested to hear about it - perhaps a new thread?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

SteveWallace

posted on 27/2/22 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'll start another thread in the 'non-car chat' section

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.