Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Eploding Cellulose paint tins
Stuart Walker

posted on 30/8/21 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Eploding Cellulose paint tins

May not be a likely situation for many, but a word of warning in case anyone else is opening old cans of cellulose paint -

I went to open one today which has probably been sealed for 10 years (or more), it exploded with a massive bang, fired the lid into my forehead and covered my face and eyes in paint. All sorted now but be warned if you happen to be doing the same! Not sure what caused it, maybe the paint releases something over time which causes pressure to build.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macc man

posted on 30/8/21 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I had some cellulose paint in my shed and the pressure build up caused the tin to split and leak out. It gets quite hot inside in summer I guess the pressure has to go somwhere.

[Edited on 30/8/21 by macc man]

jollygreengiant

posted on 31/8/21 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Walker
May not be a likely situation for many, but a word of warning in case anyone else is opening old cans of cellulose paint -

I went to open one today which has probably been sealed for 10 years (or more), it exploded with a massive bang, fired the lid into my forehead and covered my face and eyes in paint. All sorted now but be warned if you happen to be doing the same! Not sure what caused it, maybe the paint releases something over time which causes pressure to build.

Me thinks that the CLUE as to WHAT caused it is ON THE CAN. It IS Cellulose. Cellulose IS a very flammable and volatile liquid, when left in a can (ie paint) for a prolonged period of time, the cellulose WILL come out of solution and form a pressure within that container. Eventually this pressure must/will equalise with a lower external pressure. either the can goes BANG, or, the LID flies off with great force when you are trying to open it.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Benzine

posted on 31/8/21 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thread title sounds like a craft ale
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.