Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow wagon of choice?
mark chandler

posted on 7/9/21 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Tow wagon of choice?

Hello chaps

I have moved to furthest Wales so sprints, hill climbs and track days will now mean an overnight stay.

In the past I have used airB&B, which has been great however this has been drive the car, I am now going to use a large trailer so this has become less attractive.

My current tow car is a 215bhp XC70, it’s brilliant at pulling the weight but not a sleep in vehicle so must go, time fir a van.

Mercedes sprinters look good but they are huge, custom transits fit the bill however I have a few friends with mondeo’s where the 2.0 litre diesels have failed so that has scared me off.

So Mercedes Vito dualliner looks like the best choice, I’m hankering for a 10 year old 122, the v6 turbo diesel looks to be favourite - does anyone here have any knowledge of these, looks like rust is an issue but what about driving it as a daily driver? Is the extra power worth it over lesser 4 pot versions?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

gremlin1234

posted on 7/9/21 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
in London they are expanding their 'ultra low emission zone' from 24th October. meaning a daily charge of £12.50 for many older vehicles within the North/South circular. (even some diesel from as late as 2016!)

there may be an opportunity to pick up a bargain

Sanzomat

posted on 7/9/21 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
For me it was previously just a case of towing with whatever company car I had. Was a bit worried how the Passat GTE would cope with its little 1.4 petrol and plug in electric combo but that was fine. Also the little 3 cylinder 1.5 diesel engine in a biggish BMW 216 grandad tourer also coped fine towing a smallish twin axle with my GTM on it (total weight of loaded trailer maybe 1100kg?). Since departing the rat race I picked up a 2016 Focus estate with the 1.5 diesel and that also pulls it along fine and best of all its free road tax! So my view is pretty much anything with a rated towing weight limit should be fine for towing a kit on a trailer, even with a tyre rack etc. It then comes down to your sleeping arrangements and preference - I wouldn't fancy sleeping in an estate car so I think a van type thing would be a must.
Simon

posted on 7/9/21 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Hope you're well - I'm currently on hols near Snowdon .

Anyway btt, I've had various Grand Espaces over the years and found them brilliant for towing caravan (6 berth, twin axle) but also after taking all the seats out, there is a flat floor to chuck an airbed down.

Probably getting a bit long in the tooth now but that's my tuppence worth

Cheers

mark chandler

posted on 7/9/21 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Simon

Doing well thank you, we moved a couple of months ago - you get so much for your money down here, about 15 minutes from Pendine sands is where we ended up.

I’m looking for something modernish which can tow 2500kg braked without slowing down on hills 👍

Cheers

Mark

nick205

posted on 8/9/21 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Hi Mark,

Hope you're well - I'm currently on hols near Snowdon .

Anyway btt, I've had various Grand Espaces over the years and found them brilliant for towing caravan (6 berth, twin axle) but also after taking all the seats out, there is a flat floor to chuck an airbed down.

Probably getting a bit long in the tooth now but that's my tuppence worth

Cheers

Neighbour tows a burger van with an 05 plate Ford Galaxy and says it tows well.

SWMBO and I had a Y plate Seat Alhambra (same car as the Ford Galaxy) 1.9 TDI. Didn't tow with it, but echoing Simon's comments, with the rear 2 rows of seat removed it leaves a flat floor (vanish type vehicle) with plenty of space for an airbed. Ours had 12V cigarette sockets inside by the tailgate as well.

Those vehicles are aging now, but VW and Seat have newer models (with sliding ide doors).

Remember to look for a vehicle with a tow bar and electrics already fitted or that will add another chunk of expense if you have to have them fitted.

HowardB

posted on 8/9/21 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
My best tow car was a WRX, but the most efficient is the C220 Merc estate. If the desire is a van then a look around the pit lane at a 750MC meeting will give a good view of what works.

I did borrow an Alhambra that was a good half-way van/estate cross over and with the VW diesel it did 60mpg

A 2500kg tow weight will push toward a heavier vehicle perhaps the unloved ULEZ vehicles from London that used to do the school run in and around chelsea

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

procomp

posted on 8/9/21 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

At most club race meetings the paddocks are wall to wall VW vans or day vans of various descriptions.
Fords are a NO NO. Way to unreliable and Ford cant fix them or have no parts and take months to sort them costing many many £s particularly hill start issues that render them undriveable.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 8/9/21 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I love the green ovals (I've had a few in my time!). If properly maintained they're brilliant, but the majority are somewhat neglected, and becoming more expensive to fix. My P38 Range Rover diesel was sluggish, but pulled well, and with back seats folded down it made perfect fitment for a double air bed. My Defender 90 is less comfy (in all aspects), but will happily pull most things along. Range Rover Sport TDV8 is an animal and so much grunt behind it, and plenty of space in the boot area - but mine has got 78K on the clock, plenty of service history, and thoroughly inspected by yours truly. Anything with history missing or bits changed, you might as well throw £ notes onto a fire as they literally are a money pit. The only one i've not tried is the wife's Disco Sport, but it doesn't have a tower as standard (can't imagine its great with reasonable weight and only 180bhp though).

I towed a couple of small trailers with the wife's previous C220d ('13 plate) estate, and had no issues whatsoever.

But as others have said, it appears VW vans appear to be the flavour of the moment.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

roadrunner

posted on 8/9/21 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a year old Transit breakdown after the clutch failed.
After that I was loaned a 6 year old Vauxhall Vivaro and even though I am not a fan of the badge it was a hoot to drive with plenty of space in the back.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/9/21 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still using my 2002 3.5T ton Transit, pretty much the oldest tow vehicle in the paddock.
It's reliable, 2 Ton tow weight, high roof so a mid-bunk and all the racing stuff underneath.
With 75 bhp on tap from it's 2.4 turbo powerplant, it's not terribly quick, but it's quite happy at class limit speeds (as am I).
No DPF, no crap, just a mechanical injection pump, cam chain, apart from the DMF eventually - what could possibly go wrong?

The corrosion is quite excessive, but not yet dangerous in the critical areas. I'm going to have the same problem as the OP, what do I replace this trusty steed with... I don't have the wealth of the majority, it's going to be a real issue. Hopefully the failure sheet on the next MoT won't be too bad to deal with.......

I too am hoping that the ULEZ cast-offs might be 'affordable', but I won't be holding my breath.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 8/9/21 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have an smax. Never towed with it but it was reasonable to drive and sleep in with the seats down. The boot created a nice rain shelter if you're under 6'3". However I wouldn't be keen to do it semi regular. Thinking about practicalities of somewhere to eat breakfast, relax etc. A converted van would be better.
JimSpencer

posted on 8/9/21 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ok a bit off the wall.. but there's logic to it..

Background
At most hills you drop your trailer in the paddock and the tow vehicle gets banished, some sprints likewise.
&
Towing things is a bu66er generally

So why not a 3.5t van and put the car in it?

Specifically one of the 'lo-loader' type Luton's.

Once the car's out then the ramps (the car sits on) convert to seating/bed, cupboards on the walls, tyre storage, bits and pieces under the ramps etc etc.. got a night heater, tv and inverter power in mine - a 53 plate Vauxhall Movano (had it about a decade now)
It takes a Sylva Striker or my F3 Reynard (nose cone removed) and makes a comfy place for a weekend, EZ Up onto the side/rear, car under that and job jobbed
Plus
It fits in any paddock where one is allowed to have a trailer.

Oh and:-
It doesn't mean I have to compromise the daily driver choice, I have a van knocking about, and its great to wave at the people towing as you cruise past them on the way home..

nick205

posted on 9/9/21 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.

At most club race meetings the paddocks are wall to wall VW vans or day vans of various descriptions.
Fords are a NO NO. Way to unreliable and Ford cant fix them or have no parts and take months to sort them costing many many £s particularly hill start issues that render them undriveable.

Could the liking for VW vans come from the lower deprciation on value?

I'm no expert here at all, but it you buy and run the van for a few years and then sell it on it would be a consideration for many people.

mark chandler

posted on 9/9/21 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps

No views on the Vito?

Part of moving to Wales included getting a Brian James T6 trailer, I sprint my I6 DB7 and plan to race an XJS hence 2,500kg weight.

Personally I think the VAG selection is overpriced, more fashion and I am scared of getting a transit hence V6 Vito. I am to old to sleep in cars now and once I have passed my ArDs test want to get out a lot more while we still have petrol that is affordable and circuits that let us IC engines…. Unfortunately I believe that in 10 years time everything will start getting much harder

JimSpencer

posted on 10/9/21 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh... ok the 'turboblade' in your 'building' led me astray..

That moves the goalposts somewhat.. A DB7 and 3/4 of a ton of trailer? so the 2.5T?

I think the Vito would pull it happily, but that's different to how it'd drive as the trailer will still be heavier than the van even when loaded?
Plus
By the time you've put a tyre rack and tool safe etc ect on the trailer/in the van it's got to be close to the towing capacity and certainly the GTW.

Personally I'd be looking for something bigger with a 3.5T towing capacity hence the Iveco Daily would be at the sharp end of my list, van built by a truck maker so strong and if it does go wrong you're not dealing with a car dealer..

Not uncommon to find them as motorhomes or converted to 'day vans' for the reasons above..

Hope this helps

[Edited on 10/9/21 by JimSpencer]

ash_hammond

posted on 10/9/21 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Ranger. Pulls 2 tonnes around, you don't know it on the back. The rear load area, takes an air bed, I keep mine quite clean. If it rains, i just press the button for the electric shutter to come over me. Not ideal, but works for me for "wild camping".

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.