Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lifting car with motorcycle jacks
lsdweb

posted on 2/6/22 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Lifting car with motorcycle jacks

Hi all

I'm fed up with using trolley jacks / axle stands and always nervy about going under cars on axle stands. I'd love a 2 post lift but don't have the space, height etc.

I bought a Sealey scissor lift last year but it would have been difficult to use in the space I have and seemed to take up a lot of room under the car - there were parts missing so I sent it back.

I've been toying with trying motorcycle scissor jacks (4 of them). I could use these either under the wheels (chocked / strapped down) when working on bodywork etc or under the body (suitably protected) when doing suspension, brakes etc.. I guess it would be slow to lift the car and I'd have to lift a bit at a time on each jack but that's ok.

I was wondering if anybody else does this or am I having a moment of madness?!

Wyn

lsdweb

posted on 2/6/22 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this:

rdodger

posted on 2/6/22 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Have you considered https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/
ianhurley20

posted on 2/6/22 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Have you considered https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/

I have one friend who uses one of those and swears by them. Another friend uses two motorcycle lifts to raise his Westfield and is very pleased with his solution

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/6/22 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
you could use a electric drill with a socket to wind them up and down. Did this with the caravan worked a treat.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 4/6/22 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I invested in a two bag air-jack which operates off the compressor. Its low enough to go under the kit-car and the hairdressers raising front and back when placed under the front jacking point.
So much easier & quicker than using a trolley or scissor jack.
Linky below
air jack

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/6/22 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
I invested in a two bag air-jack which operates off the compressor. Its low enough to go under the kit-car and the hairdressers raising front and back when placed under the front jacking point.
Linky below
air jack

hmm kinda looks a bit wibbly wobbly? and £83 a jack that's expensive.

And anyway regardless of the jack type you should not be going under cars without axle stands. I use both the jack and the axle stands plus a spare wheel before I'll go under a car.

[Edited on 4/6/22 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnH20

posted on 4/6/22 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of the motor cycle jacks shown in your first reply. I forget how much they were, maybe £60 each? On my mid engined car which is tail heavy I use them at the front with a high lift trolley jack at the rear. Advantage is you have three load point for stability at all times. Obviously you need to raise each jack progressively and finally FIX AXLE STANDS. I have tried to use my impact driver to lift the MC jacks but it does not have the power rather to my surprise. Nevertheless a good system as long as you don't need to take the wheels off
pewe

posted on 4/6/22 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And anyway regardless of the jack type you should not be going under cars without axle stands. I use both the jack and the axle stands plus a spare wheel before I'll go under a car.

Solid as a rock.
My local mobile tyre fitter swears by his.
Compared to trolley jacks where the seals last five minutes it seems a great buy even if only looking at the speed and ease of use.
Totally agree with always having a second support before commencing any work.

nick205

posted on 5/6/22 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Linky below
air jack

Agree with Mr Whippy here

Jack it up axle stands and a spare wheel before going under the vehicle. Just don't risk getting crushed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.