Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3D printing number plates
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/2/24 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
3D printing number plates

OK, not the whole plate, but the digits.
I really like the late 60s/70s peaket digit plates that are "rivited" onto aluminium plates. But they are hard to find at sensible prices, and even then most places have limited letters/numbers. I want silver digits to stick to a plate

So is there a library of such stuff. My useful SIL has a 3d printer and makes some intersting bits and bobs. But if I can find a file to help it would be handy.

Any pointers?
TIA

(Car is pre 72 so these will be legal. In fact the rules are now pre 1980, after a DVLA cockup in the regs)

Schrodinger

posted on 7/2/24 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
You may already have it but here is a link to DVLA guidance notes there is very little on pre 1973 registrations though
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/62554c78d3bf7f600782fd4f/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf
Also not sure if this link has what you are looking for
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=number+plates+fonts+pre+1973&id=92551ADE59DDAA45060F4C044A14265EFFD84F9F&form=IQFRBA&first=1&diso verlay=1

[Edited on 7-2-24 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

Steef74

posted on 7/2/24 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Within Fusion 360 it is easy defining some numbers and letters, just extrude these, create STL and send to 3D printer
Fusion 360 can be registered free for student or non commercial use. This version does not have all functionality, but for designing 3D models it is more then sufficient.

obfripper

posted on 7/2/24 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
New Charles Wright is the current and correct font to use, should be easy enough to export to an svg outline, and then import and extrude in blender/cad and chamfer forward edges to match the original style letters.

Dave

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/2/24 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Pre 72 there is no guidance on font, as long as it is clear. I will try the original Charles Wright, a little different. SIL is on teh case, got home to messages about what font and wanting pictures to design the shape. He is earning brownie points for his (big) shed build!

obfripper

posted on 7/2/24 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd forgotten about the fonts on some brands of the older plastic letter plates as well as the serck font, this might need you to trace the fonts manually in a cad program as I've not seen an actual font file that is close to these fonts.

For the 60's plastic letters, hills is probably the one you're looking for.
https://autoshite.com/topic/48104-1960s-uk-registration-plate-font/

There's a handful of threads on there with different manufacturers plates, if the font you're thinking of is more obscure as prettry much every manufacturer had a different font pre mid '90's..

Also here is a link to the current font, there is a Charles Wright 1935 font within the pack that is the pre 2001 standard font.
https://www.k-type.com/fonts/charles-wright/

Dave

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/2/24 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
It is a minefield!
I think I will go with the old charles wright, as that info is available.
He has pointed out that the digits will have a lightly lined surface, but I intend to paint them prior to fitting, probably in a bit of 2k.
He said that would be best to aid UV protection.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/24 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
There's plenty of digits on ebay & I would not use Pla for this application due to the black background getting too hot in the summer sun.

There also plenty of online companies such as vintagecarparts who can make them up for you for about £70 a pair. The pressed alloy ones are considerably more robust (I have one that survived a head on crash with only a slight nick to the corner ). Personally the plates you refer too are more suited to vintage type cars but go for whatever you like. It's actually on my list of jobs to do this year as the pressed plate does not match what was used on my car at the time.

I'm 3D printing all the time so I'd be interested if you found a ready designed characters font but I could probably knock the ones I need in under an hour on tinkercad.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 8/2/24 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
There's plenty of digits on ebay & I would not use Pla for this application due to the black background getting too hot in the summer sun.

There also plenty of online companies such as vintagecarparts who can make them up for you for about £70 a pair. The pressed alloy ones are considerably more robust (I have one that survived a head on crash with only a slight nick to the corner ). Personally the plates you refer too are more suited to vintage type cars but go for whatever you like. It's actually on my list of jobs to do this year as the pressed plate does not match what was used on my car at the time.

I'm 3D printing all the time so I'd be interested if you found a ready designed characters font but I could probably knock the ones I need in under an hour on tinkercad.

I have a hatred of the £20/pr type pressed plates, they are just not right. The lovely heavier pressed ones fitted originally to cars of the 60s are much nicer.
And I have a 1980 car here that uses the plastic/rivited type letters on an ali plate, all original.

And I am too much of a tightwad to fork out £70 a pair for plates!

For my spitfire I did find a set of digits for one plate. I intend to attach them to the front gille in the same way the original Lotus Elans did, no actual plate.
They were a mixture of silver and white when bought, now sprayed a dark silver (when I was painting some wheels) so will be legal but a bit stealthy. There is no guidance at all on the shade of silver for the digits, I know a car that has them VERY dark silver, almost invisible.

Steef74

posted on 8/2/24 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
ASA filament is UV resistent, for the fine printing lines, use some sand paper

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/24 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I don't recall seeing proper vintage plates with the separate plastic digits ever being painted silver, I'm sure they were all just white. I'm sure it was just the pressed ones that were bare metal. That is one of the things that stands out with pressed ones being wrong for my car. The old style plastic used on the originals tends to go dusty/crusty and brittle (or green depending on how old it is...)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 8/2/24 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pair of number plates of my first car a ford anglia it was 1964
It is a aluminium plate with black numbers and letters riveted on i have never seen silver letters on this type of plate.

But they do aluminium pressed plates that are black with polished letters Etc
I hope this helps
Graham

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/24 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I see a number of news articles discussing modern number plate recognition systems failing to read vintage plates for car parks either giving them free parking or not opening the barrier. Something I will bare in mind.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.