Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Adding cruise control.
tegwin

posted on 8/7/24 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Adding cruise control.

My dad has a 2010 Morgan 4/4 with a 1.6 sigma engine.

He’s struggling to do long journeys any more because he gets leg pains. Cruise would allow him to wiggle his feet around a bit.

So I want to retrofit cruise to his car.

The sigma was used in the focus which had cruise as an option. So I wonder if i can find the right pins on the ECU to add some buttons and enable cruise via obd.

I did this on a 2001 polo years ago but I’m not familiar with ford gubbins? Is anyone familiar with how ford do things? The ecu has “program with wds” written on it but I’ve not managed to find a model number or pin out for the ecu.

Any of you learned chaps able to help?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

gremlin1234

posted on 9/7/24 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need a program called forscan

a quick search for 'forscan cruise control' found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFGsjZSc8yQ

tegwin

posted on 9/7/24 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
That part looks fairly straight forward.

Lots of forum posts where people change the steering wheel to add the buttons and then recode it. In the morgan however im not sure what loom there is for extra buttons. Possibly a module missing between the ECU and where the steering wheel would have been!?

Struggling to find a proper pinout for the ECU and steering wheel module if one existed in ford speak.

The ECU is S118325001 which looks like a KA or focus 2 unit.... So in theory it should support cruise. Any idea where I might find a pinout and wiring diagam for a focus 2 with cruise?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

SteveWalker

posted on 9/7/24 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
The Focus probably used CANBUS to communicate with the buttons on the wheel, so it'd rely upon a processor/comms unit in the wheel to read all the buttons and communicate them to the required ECUs. If so, what you need is that module and link it to the CANBUS used on the Engine Management Unit, the button connection pins will be on that wheel module.

Everything on the Focus seemed to be CANBUS when I had one - when turning the lights off when parking, there was a short delay until it was communicated to the lighting module; the power steering module and engine management module sometimes failed to establish communication on start-up, causing a power steering fault light and no assistance; the instrument cluster sometimes failed to communicate properly and the embedded security module killed the engine (knocked down to idle).

I have added cruise control to a Zafira B and that was as simple as 15 seconds to unclip the indicator stalk and push in one with the extra buttons and 5 minutes with a laptop to tell 3 modules that it had cruise control. The Focus is probably little different in that respect.

loggyboy

posted on 9/7/24 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on age, ford cruise will only partially link with the engine ECU, most functions (link to brake, clutch, steering controls) will be handled by Body control Module.

Mistral Motorsport

rusty nuts

posted on 9/7/24 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you can’t fit a Ford cruise control it may be possible to fit an aftermarket kit if you can find one. I picked up a kit for a Metro at a Mini show years ago that I fitted to our Cavalier after making a bracket or two , worked a treat
nick205

posted on 22/7/24 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
First company car I had (2004 Seat Leon) didn't have cruise control as standard. When I asked the main dealer if retrofitting was an option...

"It's already in the car's ECU, just needs a change of column stalk"

Well how much is that?

"£400 sir"

No worries, I'll use my feet.

(the lease deal didn't cover adding anything)

pewe

posted on 23/7/24 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought to ask Morgan?
They're not far from your dad - or have I lost the plot/

tegwin

posted on 23/7/24 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Have you thought to ask Morgan?
They're not far from your dad - or have I lost the plot/

I did consider this but given it was never an option they offered I rather suspected they would not be interested.

Its kinda odd that none of the morgan accessories people sell a kit - I mean they sell all kinds of junk in the morgan magazine. Shame really.

pewe

posted on 23/7/24 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Teg, try asking Richard Thorne. He's been into Morgans for years - raced them, rallied them. etc. P.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.