Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone recommend a good printer for around £50?
Oliver Jetson

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone recommend a good printer for around £50?

Hi,

In need of a printer to print my uni dissertation off this weekend (you don't wanna know the title of it coz it's proper gash!)

Gonna need to do 3 copies of around 80 pages each fairly quickly and good quality.

Got an Argos voucher lying here worth £50 so may awell use that - I've had a look on the website and there's a mindboggling amount that I could buy (Refuse to spend more than £70 though).

There's a lot of these multi combo styles - printer, scanner, copier - they any good?

Any brands to stay clear of? Maybe due to ink costs?

Never bought/owned a printer before so I know nothing!

Much appreciated,
Oli

zilspeed

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Samsung ML1510 mono laser which cost me 50 quid brand new from PC World. Dirt cheap running costs, refillable toner for about 4 quid and regularly does newsletters for me. Spits out a sheet of A4 every 4-5 seconds.

Wouldn't have an inkjet. Also have a colour laser here, but it doesn't belong to me - it belongs to the car club.

Here's the updated version of my printer. Does black very very well and extremely cheaply.
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90377

54 quid

[Edited on 27/4/06 by zilspeed]

rayward

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
i use an epson cx3200 3 in 1 jobbie, works well even on cheapo ink.

Ray

NigeEss

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience you can't beat a laser printer for text and Zilspeeds recomendation
seems preety good for the price.

If you do go for an inkjet try to get one with separate colour cartridges. I've had
a couple of HP's in the past and it really peed me off to chuck a cartridge away
when only one colour ( normally yellow for some strange reason ) had run out.
I have heard that Lexmark printers are expensive on the inks, probably why they're cheap to buy.

zilspeed

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
The colour laser I have here has seperate colours - that's got to help keep costs reasonable.

Oliver Jetson

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the quick replies guys.

However - whats's an inkjet and why the negative feeling towards them?

Oli

Oliver Jetson

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
This looks like an ok deal:

printer

zilspeed

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Jetson
Cheers for the quick replies guys.

However - whats's an inkjet and why the negative feeling towards them?

Oli

Buy an inkjet - use it for a bit. Come back to it a few weeks later and find that the bugger has clogged jets and it has to go through all the jet cleaning malarkey, throwing away good ink in the process. They are also much more expensive to run than lasers. The laser will sit unused for months if you want then print a perfect page at the first attempt. This doesn't happen with inkjets.

P.S. Just remembered I have two inkjets lying redundant in the shed and one good small photo printer which is inkjet.

P.P.S. Inkjets are literally jets of ink fired at the page. (microscopic jets right enough).

chockymonster

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have a colour laser, it wasn't expensive to buy. More than your budget but still not expensive.
The cartridges are £50 each (4, Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) But I've just had to replace my first nearly 2 years after buying the printer.

A cheap printer is high maintenance, it doesn't matter if it's a lexmark (mortgage time) Hp, Epson, Canon. Unless you are looking at the multiple cartridge systems then it will cost money to replace.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
This looks like an ok deal:

printer

Yeah, you're right. It does. Now look at the cartridge costs! £35 to replace them.

What sort of usage are you expecting to do?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to avoid owning one longer still, then I could print it for you on Tuesday, if you like, but I bet thats too late.
If you have to buy one, then if you only ever need black and white then if you can get a laser for this price then do so.
If you need colour though then get a bubblejet/inkjet with seperate ink tanks.
If the multifunctions are important to you and you can get one at your price then do.
Personally with your budget I'd try and get a Canon Pixma iP4200 printer.
u2u me if I can help

[Edited on 27/4/06 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Oliver Jetson

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Those samsung ones look good, but mono means just black yeah? Needing a colour aswell so I guess a colour laser is well out my budget!

Oliver Jetson

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the offer ReMan, appreciated, but I'll need to do it before then and I reckon buying a printer will be useful for me anyhow.

That Canon one is pretty quick printing speeds - around 20ppm - fastest i've seen yet

ReMan

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind the speed , feel the quality
I have its predecessor,iP4000 at home, a brill printer even does 2 sided and CD's (but I am slightly biased)

quote:

That Canon one is pretty quick printing speeds - around 20ppm - fastest i've seen yet

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Elsewise , drop into a Print beureu (COPYSHOP!) and have them print it straight from disc , then buy your printer at leisure.....

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

greggors84

posted on 27/4/06 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Jetto, i bought an Epson Stylus C66 at the beginning of the term for £40 including delivery from Ebuyer.com Spare cartridges on ebay are £1 each. Have used a few and you cant tell the difference to the official Epson ones.

I printed out my housemates disseratation the other day 2 copies of 100+ pages, only used about 1/3 of the ink. 4 seperate cartridges aswell so you can replace them seperatly instead of the whole thing when one runs out.

Just do a search on ebay to find out how much cartridges are before you buy one, my housemate has a lexmark and it cost him £25 for 2 cartridges.

On a completly different note, spoke to Sam from Nissan tonight, he and Dan are coming to Le Mans this year, you should bring the 200 down!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Danozeman

posted on 28/4/06 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Iv got an apsom d68. cost me 50 quid from tesco's. The cartridges are 6quid each from there and they are all seperate. The pattern cartridges are less still.

I think the cartridges that come with it arnt full capacity as the black gone quickly. For text it prints quite fast and the quality is very good. even on photo's.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.