Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building up milage...and guts
Ham

posted on 11/8/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Building up milage...and guts

Having recently completed the car, I am now slowly building up miles, funny how you start off so slowly, almost expecting the thing to fall apart.
The best thing is building the confidence to cane it into corners, and realising how good these things are in the twisties, I recently had a bloke in a Gti all over me on the straight, but throw in a hint of a corner and he was no where in sight, he only caught up at the next lights - funny, he never made eye contact!

Monkeybasher

posted on 11/8/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ham
I recently had a bloke in a Gti all over me on the straight

now its finished time to rip it apart and make it faster
and when its faster take it apart again and make it faster still and so the cycle goes on.

Glad your enjoying it.

Steve

JAG

posted on 11/8/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Building confidence in the car is paramount, otherwise you'll never use it properly. The other thing I learnt whilst doing this was how a rear drive car behaves differently under power during cornering. Not lairy powerslides just the way the back wheels bite and push you round - it was a little disconcerting at first.

I had a look at your picture archive and I have to say that I really like the side cladding on your car. Do you find it keeps the engine bay and transmission tunnel cooler?

I find that the front of my transmission tunnel gets really hot after 10-20 miles and I'm sure it's because the hot air from the engine becomes trapped under the bonnet. I'm guessing you don't have that problem.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Ham

posted on 11/8/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi JAG,
The cladding does seem to help with airflow leaving the engine bay, when stationary with the fan running you can feel the warm breeze exiting the cladding, it also make life easy when you need access to the side of the engine, just unbolt the panel and away you go,
Yup cornering is def the best part of a seven, very predictable, and progresive, the seat of your pants give you plenty warning on when the back is gonna step out, then you can either catch it or give it more throttle!!!!!
More fun than a mistress!!!!

brynhamlet

posted on 11/8/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
The one and only drive on public roads was fun. Until it broke down on the way to the SVA.

But to the point, I had a similar car try to follow me down I road I know well. As it was the first time out, I was taking my time just feeling the car. I was amazed that the same car that chased me down a striaght after I past him disapeared backwards.

Looking forward to a registration, cos this is going to bring a whole new meaning to going quickly, slowly!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.