Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen or Aeroscreen
grassracer

posted on 12/3/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen or Aeroscreen

I've just taken possession of my first 7 type kit car which needs a bit of tlc.
One item which needs attention is the screen. Its fitted with a quite tall lexan screen and no wipers. but this needs replaced.
Should I fit a full screen and have the hassle of wipers etc being needed or fit a funky aeroscreen (preferred option) also if I fit an aeroscreen will I need to wear a helmet when driving on the road, what do you all do....ideas, suggestions please

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BenB

posted on 12/3/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think this is the favorite Locost debate aftehr the BEC vs CEC debate... Lots of previous threads on this via the search function

Aeroscreen = full face helmet (or dentures )
Windscreen = wipers, washer jets etc

Depends what you want to use the car for.
Touring and longer journeys I'd go for a windscreen, but then I know people who quite happily use an aeroscreen on 1000 miles tours (must be a comfy crash helmet though!!!)

Oh well....

MkIndy7

posted on 12/3/07 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
The problem arises with the Windscreen that inless you've got sidescreens as well they are actually worse and you get more buffeting than with an aeroscreen, as the wind whips round the side and batters you on the side of the head! .. Or so I am led to believe.

Probably why you see soft top car drivers always have the front windows up unless its a V.V.nice day!

ReMan

posted on 13/3/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
My take on this.
I wanted NO screen at all. having driven it on and off road like this now, it's great, but I was getting helmet lift at speed
I've fitted a screen similar to what you describe at about 4-5" tall, the helmet lift has gone, to be replaced by a high frequency buffeting which blurrs trhe vision slightly at high speed , but is definatly more comfortable at medium-high speed.
I am now considering a smaller shorter 2-3" screen , which hopefully will be the best of both! But I don't think I'll consider a full windscreen andvweather gear for some time yet

nitram38

posted on 13/3/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I spoke to a local atom driver who has the bubble screens.
He said it is fine up to 100 mph then after that he has to slide down the seat a bit.
I am going for bubble screens on project X !

nick205

posted on 13/3/07 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
At the moment I've got no screen at all and wear a helmet. It seems fine to about 60/65mph after which I do get a bit of helemt lift. I have a MAC#1 aeroscreen ready to fit for after SVA this week so will see what that's like. The way I looked at it was the MAC#1 aeroscreen is £35 and a full windscreen kit is ~£230 before you start with the wipers and de-mister cost and hassle.
TangoMan

posted on 13/3/07 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I tried both

I have a screen fitted (and full weather gear) which was great on the trip to Le Mans last year as it pee'd it down. I did see a couple of sevens with no screen or roof. That couldn't have been much fun..
When preparing for a trackday, I took the screen off and fitted an aeroscreen. WHAT a difference. I reckon I got another 10-15 mph before the wind resistance started to kerb the acceleration.
I have the screen back on but suspect I will be fitting an aeroscreen for parts of the summer.
My only concern is I can't be bothered to wear a helmet unless on track as this just makes the car less appealing for some journeys.

Summer's here!!!!

miegru

posted on 13/3/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
My previous seven had a screen. My current one an aeroscreen.

I prefer the aeroscreen but it does require a bit more preparation for a drive.

As said above; you need doors if you use a full screen. If you are tall (i'm 1.85m) that means that you are continuosly looking down to see through the side windows.

The helmet lift at high speed can actually be effectively solved by some helmet spoilers. I currently have an OMP one with a sort of lip molded into it on the bottom front and that works perfect. No lift at all.

Recently I bought, after a tread on this formum, WileyX glasses. I haven't used my helmet since. But for long trips (I drive to the Netherlands (from Italy) a few times a year) on the highway I will use the helmet.

One thing that is overlooked a lot: I've kept my interior very basic; only thing done was powdercoating the alu. Saves a lot of problems when driving in the rain. With a full motorbike wetsuit I stay dryer than in my full screen seven with doors and a hood.

Especially in the rain I prefer the open areoscreen one.

Ham

posted on 13/3/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I initially had no screen/aeroscreen fitted and found that even a short trip at low speeds without a helmet were difficult.I fitted a aeroscreen and it is now much more enjoyable .Around the local area with only glasses the wind just catches the top of my head, on longer/faster drives the helmet is super comfy.

I've driven a seven with a full screen and the buffeting drove me insane - aero all the way

Cheers

Humbug

posted on 13/3/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Mac#1 mini screen... I found that it was fine as far as forward wind is concerned - for me the airflow hits me half way up my forehead, so not too bad up to about 65mph, but it gets a bit cold and breezy to the sides, so I made sidescreens/doors. Now it's just about perfect except for a bit of airflow over the side. For longer/faster journeys I use a full face helmet; for shorter/slower ones Biggles helmet and goggles, and locally no hat or goggles.

If I could be arsed, I would like to see what it is like with a smaller screen, e.g. 2-3 inches like some people have.

Paul M

posted on 13/3/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I drove with a full screen on my Westfield for nearly 6 years, changed to an aero last year and would never go back. Much less buffeting, much better in the rain ( especially with a full face lid) - ie, no water on the inside of the screen making visibility impossible. Plus there's the cost to consider. My playskool aeroscreen cost £90, compare that to the £200 plus cost of a windscreen plus approx another £300 ( westfield new prices) for useless heaters, wipers etc needed to pass SVA.
Neil P

posted on 13/3/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone found out what wasps taste like yet?

I wouldn't go anywhere without a helmet. The mess bigger insects make on my visor, such as bees and butterflies tends to suggest they would make a mess of my eyes and would certainly smart a bit hitting your face. Buggers to get out of your teeth too.

ReMan

posted on 13/3/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Consensus here is fairly close to what I have found then i.e.
You always want something covering your eyes.
Helmet is better to avoid eating small animals and insects at speed.
Short but full width MAC1 type screens are good and prevent helmet lift, though there may be some buffeting.
Aeroscreens are best of both worlds
Full screens are a good air brake and that's about it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.