Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X Flow vibration
Ham

posted on 4/4/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
X Flow vibration

Hi All,
I am getting frustrated by a vibration/resonance from the X Flow.It started slowly and has gotten progressively worse.It occurs at 4000 rpm and dissapears at around 5200 rpm.It sounds like a metalic plate rattling? I noticed that the spacer plate between the engine and gearbox was loose, I tightened that but the noise remained. The sound comes from the right hand side (carb side) - Any ideas......
I have found that one of the shafts on my carb has some play?, could it be distrubutor weights(I had the curve modified)
The engine is running really well so I dont see it as anything major. but it does make a lot of noise.

Cheers

Marcus

posted on 4/4/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds similar to mine - was the valve in the oil separator rattling, soon to be replaced with catch tank.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ham

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Marcus, can the valve make that much noise, I can hear this vibration over the engine and exhaust?

Cheers

mookaloid

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
It's not your clutch release bearing is it?

They can chatter a bit...although usually at idle.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Ham

posted on 4/4/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,
Nope not clutch or bearing, the noise does not change with the clutch in our out, definately from the side near the carb

Cheers

MikeRJ

posted on 4/4/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Trying probing around on the engine with a long screwdriver with the handle pressed up to your ear (watching out for fan belts!). This should narrow down the source pretty quickly.
Ham

posted on 12/4/07 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Quick update on the vibration problem;
I got hold of a mechanics stethoscope and had a good listen, the noise seemed to come from the carb, I swapped the carb and the noise remained? I then thought that it was an engine vibration causing the noise and looked for that.My first thought was loose flywheel and set about removing the starter and spacer plate to have a look, the engine was still hot and after loosing skin to the manifold I called it quits and re tightened the starter (pre engaged type).Last night started her up and the noise has gone!!! it seems the starter may have been slightly loose, the vibration could have been caused by either the spacer plate between the starter and bell hosing or the actual starter vibrating.
Strange thing is that the noise was definately loudest at the carb, I presume that this is due to the barrel of the carb "amplifying" the noise?

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.