Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A Framing?
Ham

posted on 17/7/07 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
A Framing?

This weekend we are off on a longish trip with 130 other 7 owners for a 50th aniversary bash, I am looking at putting the 7 on an "A" frame for around 300km and driving the remaining distance, I have heard that the prop "should" be removed, is this true? To remove and re-fit the prop on the side of the road will be a ball ache! and time consuming! (X Flow with 4spd box BTW)

Cheers

vorn

posted on 17/7/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ham

Funny you should bring this subject up , I am in the process of building a "A" frame for my seven.
I have talked to alot of people on the general subject (Farmers and people with motor homes that tow small cars )
I have not been told about removing the drive shaft , I do not see why you would need to do it as you would have the seven in neutral , the only time you would need to remove the driveshaft is when the car is a automatic as they dont like being towed much over 10 kph .

Will be interested on what other people say.

Have you made a frame for your seven or have you used a off the shelf unit?

Cheers

Vaughan

[Edited on 17/7/07 by vorn]

David Jenkins

posted on 17/7/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I think that it's only autos that need the removal of the propshaft - the auto boxes don't like being driven the wrong way round.

You're lucky you're not in the UK - A-frames & towing dollies have a very dubious legal status (only allowed for limited mileage, and then only for recovering a vehicle to a safe place).

smart51

posted on 17/7/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
the smart ForTwo hand book states that the car should not be towed for more than 30 miles in its entire life. It has an automated manual gearbox.

The only reason I can think of is that the gearbox will be spun by the propshaft if it is towed in neutral. Perhaps this is not good for some reason.

edit:

Rather than use an 'A' frame, why not use a full trailer?

[Edited on 17-7-2007 by smart51]

gingerprince

posted on 17/7/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
my guess would be that you will be spinning the output of the gearbox with no oil pressure so this could cause damage. though perhaps this is more of an issue with a bike engine since it's all the same oil unlike a car engine gearbox?

perhaps leave the car ticking over so there is oil pressure when towing?

vorn

posted on 17/7/07 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
If I use a "A" frame I wont need to buy or build a trailer or store it and wont have to reg or wof it (mot and tax) .
Im going to put a trailer plug behind the nose cone and run the tail lights from the toe car.

gingerprince

posted on 17/7/07 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vorn
If I use a "A" frame I wont need to buy or build a trailer or store it and wont have to reg or wof it (mot and tax) .
Im going to put a trailer plug behind the nose cone and run the tail lights from the toe car.

You must have friendlier laws than here in blighty. Over here it would need tax/MOT (because some of its wheels are on the road), you could only tow up to 40mph and you could only use it for recovery not for transportation.

vorn

posted on 17/7/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
thats a bit harsh ,
The car being toed by the A frame is taxed and tested . So there is no need to pay anything to use the A frame.

Ham

posted on 17/7/07 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have been told that the output shaft will spin, the concern is that the shaft will spin in its bearings with no oil splash to lube them, causing them to run hot???? I have A framed numerous times but always short trips never this long.

Cheers

Simon

posted on 17/7/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Best answer I can think of, is to contact one of the many classic Ford clubs as there's bound to be someone with an original Ford crossflow owners manual, who'll give you Ford's answer on towing.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.