Board logo

Weighing chassis with engine in
speedyxjs - 8/6/09 at 06:13 AM

Being a complete idiot, i forgot to weight the chassis before i put the engine in.
Could i attach a couple of these to my engine crane to weight the front and then do the same to the rear?

FEZ1025 - 8/6/09 at 07:29 AM

Just being nosey here, why would you want to weight the chassis?

But looking a the item you linked to unless you have a very small engine wouldn't engine plus chassis exceed 150Kgs?

Alan...

speedyxjs - 8/6/09 at 10:15 AM

Thats why i said a couple .
I want to weigh it so i have a rough idea of what spring rates i need.
Id look for someone with a similar engine but there dont seem to be so many people installing stupid engines like me

aerosam - 8/6/09 at 12:08 PM

mine may not be as big and heavy, but it's equally as stupid.

Confused but excited. - 8/6/09 at 12:12 PM

Couldn't you work out your chassis weight by measuring total length of tube used and multiply by weight per foot/metre. Surely this would be accurate enough for suspension spring requirements, as I assume you will be using adjustable platform type suspension units.

speedyxjs - 8/6/09 at 01:50 PM

Didnt think of that but But i dont think it would be that accurate. There are more chassis rails at the front that there are at the back so the front will be heavier

iank - 8/6/09 at 02:52 PM

Compared to your engine the weight of the chassis is going to be pretty insignificant to be honest. A guestimate of 50kg for the front end of the spaceframe should be in the ballpark

I'd do the calcs based on 25kg, 50kg and 75kg for the chassis and see what range of springs you get. Bet it'll be pretty close.

The Black Flash - 15/6/09 at 10:25 PM

From my hazy memory of basic physics, using two should give half the correct weight on each. Don't see why it wouldn't work? Might do the same with my engine...it's that or hire a van, load the chassis up, and beg the use of the weybridge at the local builder's merchants