Board logo

oil leak
angliamotorsport - 26/9/11 at 01:35 PM

Hi all, now that my engine is running, thanks to ab performance, it has developed an oil leak. Engine, zx10r, 04/05 has been out three times, everything cleaned, dried, new gasket, o rings, sealant applied but still leaks.
The leak is coming from the water cooled, oil filter area and only leaks when the engine is running.
I'm using a general purpose high temperature, oil resistant silicon sealant and am wondering if I should be using an rtv type sealant.
Any comments, thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon Ison - 26/9/11 at 02:13 PM

Probably not the correct answer but I had a minor oil leak that persisted whatever I did.

My cure, tigerseal, not leaked since, almost 18 months ago.

Tiger Super Six - 26/9/11 at 02:15 PM

Are the two faces completely flat? I bought an oil filter housing from raceline and it wasn't flat so kept leaking - sent it back and they sorted it, no problems since.

angliamotorsport - 26/9/11 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for replies guys, not heard of Tiger seal, and if it seals a leak would it seal anything that did not need sealing.
Only asking the question as I am a bit hesitant about using this type of product.

I did check, after the second engine out perfomance if all surfaces were flat, used a piece of thick plate glass and all appeared ok.

I was more concerned about the suitability of the sealant as the various bits that have sealant applied to them seem to part very easily.

angliamotorsport - 28/9/11 at 05:14 AM

Found the problem, crack in lower crancase, rats!!!!!