Board logo

braided brake hose
welshboy - 5/11/08 at 09:00 PM

hi all could anyone tell me the best place to get some braided brake hoses made up please

[Edited on 5/11/08 by welshboy]

philw - 5/11/08 at 09:05 PM

Rally design

MikeR - 5/11/08 at 09:08 PM

Russ boost (???) on here. People seem pleased with what he's done.

GeorgeM - 5/11/08 at 09:19 PM

as above, - Russ Bost

blakep82 - 5/11/08 at 09:35 PM

not wanting to hi-jack but may help with some advice

are the reuseable euroquip fittings from rally design likely to cause a problem for SVA?

DavidW - 5/11/08 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Russ boost (???) on here. People seem pleased with what he's done.

I certainly was.

iank - 5/11/08 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
not wanting to hi-jack but may help with some advice

are the reuseable euroquip fittings from rally design likely to cause a problem for SVA?

Depends on the examiner. You need to prove the olive is in place and they are correctly assembled. Easier, at least for SVA to use crimped ones.

blakep82 - 5/11/08 at 10:50 PM

hmmm, a bit dubious then... can they be crimped with normal tools? reason being, i haven't decided on the routing yet, i'd rather have all the bits, make one end, lay it all out, change as necessary, cut the pipe to the right length, make the other end.

iank - 5/11/08 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmmm, a bit dubious then... can they be crimped with normal tools? reason being, i haven't decided on the routing yet, i'd rather have all the bits, make one end, lay it all out, change as necessary, cut the pipe to the right length, make the other end.

No, the tool is hydraulic (the one I saw was hand pumped). There's nothing dubious from a quality point of view of the assembled ones, they are used in high end motorsport and (I think) aircraft. People have certainly passed with them. Taking the spec sheet and assembly instructions and/or a spare fitting should be enough. No idea if they're IVA safe though.

Personally I'd leave the lines until after all the pipes are in place and then take measurements and have them made up by Russ.

blakep82 - 5/11/08 at 11:05 PM

i mean dubious as in, some testers think they're ok, some don't, so its not a uniform decision on them.

I've got no doubts over the safety or quality of them otherwise i wouldn't consider them.

dogwood - 6/11/08 at 06:57 AM

I got mine of Fleebay.

To fit a TVR Grifith
1 pair 50cm pair 53cm
Inc banjo bolts £28

Try Item number: 160296724580
David

02GF74 - 6/11/08 at 08:10 AM

crimped vs assebled fittings - whether these pass SVA seems to vary according to who is testing.

My inspector needed to see evidence that there is an inner support tube - this would mean suppliying the fitting for examination and the fitting needs to be factory marked so it can be compared to the ones fitted on the car.

RD refused to supply documentation nor give details of manufacturer for them to suypply any documentation.

In the end I fitted crimped hoses from RD - they have special hyfraulic press to do the sleeves, something you shouldnlt attempt at home unless you have correct tool.

SVA frown on brake fittings that can be dissambled whihc is somemwhat bizarre as you can always unscrew the crimped fittings anyway - go figure that one out!

You will need to cover up the braid - I used spiral wrap for the test.

blakep82 - 6/11/08 at 08:22 AM

i've covered mine in clear heatshrink
hmmm, i was going to order all the parts yesterday from RD yesterday. not sure now...

russbost - 6/11/08 at 08:47 AM

Blake
If you're not sure on the routing i always suggest using washer tube or cable to decide where your runs are going to go as it bends in a similar way to a flexy hose. Providing you don't have any ridiculously tight bends (braided hose will comfortably turn back 180 degrees within a couple of inches) & make sur you allow for suspension droop/lock to lock you should be able to work out where best to run it then just measure up your cable & away you go.
Just something else to bear in mind the RD fittings are all cadmium plated & can go rusty very quickly - stainless steel ends never will - my hoses are guaranteed for life (not sure if that's yours, mine or the cars, but you get the picture!)

welshboy - 6/11/08 at 07:04 PM

thanks everyone iv been in touch with russ im sorted now

[Edited on 6/11/08 by welshboy]