Board logo

New studs in Cortina hubs
Miek - 13/11/06 at 09:15 PM

I've got the Cortina hubs, and I really, really want to use these 205 GTi alloys on them. Unfortunately, the studs are that bit too small, another cm would do it fine.
Is it easy to remove these studs and replace with longer ones? Has anyone done this?
Thanks.

Danozeman - 13/11/06 at 09:17 PM

Just tap them out and press/pull the new ones in. Easy..

Miek - 13/11/06 at 09:18 PM

Super!
Thank you!

ned - 13/11/06 at 10:07 PM

seriously, this is a job when you really always need a bigger hammer!

Deckman001 - 13/11/06 at 10:25 PM

It's also best to fit a nut to the stud so you hit the nut and stud head at the same time, this helps to stop the stud being distorted, when fitting the new studs 'pull' them into place with the new wheel if you can, this keeps the studs square

Jason

pathfinder - 13/11/06 at 10:36 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I’ve got a similar question!

When I bolt my alloys on the stud only just protrudes from the nut. Is this ok for Mr sva or do I have to put longer studs in so that there are a couple of treads showing. From a mechanical point of view it’s safe as houses but I know sva can be a bugger with things like this so would prefer to get it right!

mark chandler - 13/11/06 at 10:37 PM

I just used a vice and sockets to push out and push in, no need to get aggressive with hammers.

Very easy to do, just check your wheel nuts after to few miles incase they settle in a little.

02GF74 - 14/11/06 at 09:07 AM

some answers:

1. if nut if silled, SVA man is happy; no need for extra thread to show.

2. re fitting; I tried pressing in (2 in rear hub) using a vice but they didn't go in square - fortunately I was just about able to get alloy on so was able to pull them through which squared them up.

liam.mccaffrey - 14/11/06 at 09:27 AM

i pressed my granada studs into my tina hubs with a large socket as a spacer and a vice.

britishtrident - 14/11/06 at 06:32 PM

Best not to use a vice to press them much better to pull them in using a nut and a suitable socket and washers as a spacer.

The reason is they will pull in easier than push (all to do with Poisson ratio) and are much more likely to go in straight.

Alan B - 14/11/06 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
........The reason is they will pull in easier than push (all to do with Poisson ratio) and are much more likely to go in straight.

Damn, know I why they hammered that topic into us at college now..makes perfect sense.......first practical application of Mr P's magic ratio I've actually seen.....LOL