Board logo

westfield floor lowering kit
joni - 29/11/10 at 04:08 PM

wanted a floor for the drivers side of a westy what lowers you down by about 2 " dont no what these are called but seen them at the nec on a car
i think they are made for the taller drivers thanks jonny

MikeR - 29/11/10 at 04:12 PM

Have you tried westfield? or the westfield forum (www.wscc.co.uk), the actual forum is boardroom.wscc.co.uk.

Personally, i'd worry about having the lowest part of the car being my ass, which is protected by a thin sheet of ali.

RazMan - 29/11/10 at 04:23 PM

I had a headroom problem so I made a steel 'skid plate' type thing under the seat, allowing it to be mounted 40mm lower than normal. I felt that steel was more appropriate considering which part of my anatomy was going to be 50mm off the ground

Garyd - 29/11/10 at 05:56 PM

I think westfield sell them as a standard part but only for the wide body.

joni - 29/11/10 at 06:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Have you tried westfield? or the westfield forum (www.wscc.co.uk), the actual forum is boardroom.wscc.co.uk.

Personally, i'd worry about having the lowest part of the car being my ass, which is protected by a thin sheet of ali.

its for a race car so not for road use

PumaWestie - 29/11/10 at 09:04 PM

Make it. Its only an ally box with flanges and a couple of bent steel strips to weld in to mount the seats

MikeR - 29/11/10 at 09:12 PM

I'd still worry even on a circuit - although a bit less. Hope you manage to avoid the rumble strips / gravel traps

Peteff - 29/11/10 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I'd still worry even on a circuit - although a bit less. Hope you manage to avoid the rumble strips / gravel traps

I'd assume there's still going to be a seat under his backside not just a layer of metal, scrutineers might have something to say otherwise.

perksy - 29/11/10 at 10:30 PM

Pretty sure the factory use Mild steel ones now and they're stitch welded to the chassis when you tick the options box at the ordering stage

a few folks did mention about possible 'issues' if using Ally ones

Nowt to stop you making up some cardboard templates and getting them fabricated though

procomp - 30/11/10 at 01:23 AM

Hi

No problems with the alloy ones that westfield sell. Seen a few on race cars and no problems so far. You'll probably find your sump / bell housing sit as low as the lowered floors. They are made of 16g material and are riveted into place on the vertical face of the lower chassis rails with the steel straps added underneath to act as the support for the seats as mentioned above. Only thing i would do different is make them from NS4 alloy rather than the soft stuff Westfield use.

If you want a few pic's just shout as i have a couple of Westfields in the workshop with them fitted.

Cheers Matt