Board logo

buying measuring instruments
locoboy - 8/11/06 at 09:44 PM

Im after a dial test indicator or dial indicator whatever you wish to call them.

preferable with a magnetic base but not essential.

Where is a good place to buy a reasonable quality one. I would rather buy a second hand 'good' quality one for the same money as a new 'lesses quality' item.

also after a set of vernier calipers too!
Thanks

flak monkey - 8/11/06 at 09:51 PM

Mitutoyo ones are good, as are mercer ones. For new stuff have a look here:

Linky
If you can, get an 0.002mm one, or 0.0001".

As for second hand, if you want a good one dont bother...

David

andyd - 8/11/06 at 10:23 PM

I just got a radius gauge and digital vernier from http://www.tooled-up.com/

They do a wide range to suit whatever size pocket you have.

crbrlfrost - 10/11/06 at 01:12 AM

Just a random note, a dial indicator and a dial test indicator are not the same tool. A dial indicator has a straight travel and a relatively long range (.5-2''+ depending on model). A Dial test indicator has a movement of an arc and usually only has a range of .03-.06''. These are usually used for set-up and very fine measurements in the machining industry. You want a dial indicator, by far the more useful one for building engines. Cheers!

NS Dev - 10/11/06 at 09:01 AM

thought they were both called either name? There are many different types of dial indicator (test or otherwise) with levers and goodness knows what attached to them!

Syd Bridge - 10/11/06 at 09:05 AM

You're right Nat. Difference is semantics, usual source.

Differring terminology either side of the atlantic, and sometimes coasts!

Cheers,
Syd.

02GF74 - 10/11/06 at 09:21 AM

I got a dial guage from axminster tools

[url=http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=21170&name=dial+guage&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0]

at £ 13 was cheaper then MM; no problems in the 3 times I used it

accurate enough to find TDC on a V8.

Mark Allanson - 10/11/06 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by crbrlfrost
Just a random note, a dial indicator and a dial test indicator are not the same tool. A dial indicator has a straight travel and a relatively long range (.5-2''+ depending on model). A Dial test indicator has a movement of an arc and usually only has a range of .03-.06''. These are usually used for set-up and very fine measurements in the machining industry. You want a dial indicator, by far the more useful one for building engines. Cheers!

Over here commonly called a 'clock' and a 'finger guage'