Board logo

front arch fitment
beaver34 - 20/8/12 at 07:57 AM

hi all ,

need to fit some carbon front archs,

what do people do to stop them removing themselfs?

before car had about a ton of silicone holding them on but not sure what type etc as i did not put them on, am i best of bolting them on aswell and sealer or will that crack the carbon and look crap

GOJO - 20/8/12 at 08:08 AM

Stika flex/ tiger seal / pu adhesive , double up on latex gloves when using it takes 3 or 4 days to get off your skin and i have 1 bolt on each bracket just on the inner edge just for good measure

austin man - 20/8/12 at 09:09 AM

Make sure you key both surfaces before applying the silkaflex, some people also bolt them as a precaution the next time I fit arches I will also be fixing a strip of ally to thr underside with blobs of silkaflex to prevent stone damage. Wish I had done it to the back wings I wouldnt have the cracks I have now

Chippy - 20/8/12 at 09:59 AM

I have mine secured with Evostick "Sticks like S**t", another PU adhesive. I allowed this to set for a couple of days, then cleaned up the PU around the brackets and then put a couple of layers of CSM over the whole lot, much neater than having bolts sticking through the gaurds, IMHO. HTH Ray

everest - 20/8/12 at 11:28 AM

Hi,
I use a Loctite product called 9466 x 50ml .
Its like a two part Araldite , but it self mixes in a special nozzel, but you get a few nozzels with the adhesive.
Used this to bond the front cycle wings onto the stays on my race car, and they never budged.

Hope this helps.
Regards Chris.

Nigel T - 11/9/12 at 08:26 PM

Need to buy wing stays & wings for cortina hubs 195 tyres wheres best place