Board logo

Locost Airbox?
RazMan - 16/12/10 at 02:59 PM

Has anybody figured out a Locost version of the Piper PX600 airbox?

A remarkably simple design ... but a very complicated price
There must be a cheaper way eh guys?

interestedparty - 16/12/10 at 03:12 PM

Well it shouldn't be seeing any significant vacuum, (as you are using ITBs) so why not have a look around until you find some ready made plastic box etc that will fit the space available. Alternatively I suppose making something bespoke in GRPor ally is the way to go

blue2cv - 16/12/10 at 03:29 PM

I may have a spare similar arrangement kicking about somewhere, if i get chance i'll have a look if interested

Richard Quinn - 16/12/10 at 03:43 PM

I've thought about this type of thing and I'm sure, with mine being a V twin, I could use a modified butty box.

nick205 - 16/12/10 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I've thought about this type of thing and I'm sure, with mine being a V twin, I could use a modified butty box.

Same thought occurred to me - I'm sure there must be some suitably sized tupperware items

RazMan - 16/12/10 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
I may have a spare similar arrangement kicking about somewhere, if i get chance i'll have a look if interested

You have my undivided attention Mr B

RazMan - 16/12/10 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I could use a modified butty box.

You must have huge butties for your lunch, or maybe you have a 400mm long Sub Roll!

How about some form of trunking? - it would need to be (in my case) about 450mm long, 100mm wide & 50mm deep.
.... and I need 2 of 'em.

*edit* Found this but it's plastic and I doubt it would stand the heat NEW trunking cable wire tidy 50mm x 100mm 1M length on eBay (end time 28-Dec-10 14:00:43 GMT)

If I can make a buck, I could mould it with fibreglass

[Edited on 16-12-10 by RazMan]

MikeR - 16/12/10 at 05:03 PM

Trunking that size ......... sounds a bit like guttering to me.

RK - 16/12/10 at 06:10 PM

do a search. Steve H has a vid here somewhere showing what he's done in CF. He makes it look simple, which we know is not exactly the case!

martyn_16v - 16/12/10 at 06:32 PM

I spent several days making a buck to mould something similar, realised the shape I'd made couldn't release unless I made the mould in about five parts, and gave in and knocked one up in ally in about 3 hours

I'd still like to re-visit moulding one eventually, but it's not likely to happen any time soon.

RazMan - 16/12/10 at 07:24 PM

I found a really good video about making a mould - certainly LOOKS easy enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrl1PPvliQ

Some of the guttering profiles look good - I am thinking the 115mm half round cast ally might be useful. They even have end caps which simplifies things a bit but the trouble is there's going to be quite a bit of welding to graft on the intakes. It's a pity I can't use a TIG

[Edited on 16-12-10 by RazMan]

Davegtst - 16/12/10 at 07:43 PM

Look at the state of his fingernails. Come on dude you're on TV.

username - 16/12/10 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Look at the state of his fingernails. Come on dude you're on TV.

You've obviously never met him if you think that's a bad state of fingernails, that's the cleanest he's Ever been!

MakeEverything - 16/12/10 at 09:45 PM

Could have had a shave and tidy workspace too!!

RazMan - 17/12/10 at 11:02 AM

If you need to mould a fully enclosed box (like an airbox) making a conventional buck would be impossible as you wouldn't be able to remove it. I was thinking about the possiblity of using candle wax as a buck, encasing the whole thing in fibreglass, then cutting the required holes and finally heating it up with a hot air gun to melt the wax - voila!

andrew-theasby - 17/12/10 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I was thinking about the possiblity of using candle wax as a buck, encasing the whole thing in fibreglass, then cutting the required holes and finally heating it up with a hot air gun to melt the wax - voila!

How about polystyrene too, wouldnt be as nice inside, but same idea. Acetone would dissolve it nicely!

RazMan - 17/12/10 at 11:47 AM

Aha! If you use polystyrene foam and wrap it in parcel tape, it will have smooth finish on the inside. 2 layers of heavy glass mat should do the job - a good hi-build primer will give a reasonable finish on the outside.