Board logo

LED indicators
daniel mason - 25/2/09 at 09:41 PM

Do all LED indicators need a seperate resistor to stop fast flashing or are some ok? also is there any sva restrictions on front indicators and side repeaters,because i like the LED bike ones!

Paul TigerB6 - 25/2/09 at 09:44 PM

You need an electronic flasher rather than a seperate resistor.

The Phantom Flasher

[Edited on 25/2/09 by Paul TigerB6]

INDY BIRD - 25/2/09 at 09:49 PM

I put led side indicators in,

all i did in the end after some advice was put higher watt bulbs in the other indicators ie rears and then the flash rate wa ok needed 21w bulbs

or you can get a led relay unit from ebay £15

cheers

blakep82 - 25/2/09 at 09:50 PM

stupid question, but these relay flasher thingys, do you need 2 of them? and how does it work with hazard lights? does the hazard light switch just supply both left and right relays?

daniel mason - 25/2/09 at 10:00 PM

i was also wondering the same thing blake

nitram38 - 25/2/09 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
stupid question, but these relay flasher thingys, do you need 2 of them? and how does it work with hazard lights? does the hazard light switch just supply both left and right relays?

Depends on your switching, but I am using led Lamps allround (bec) and only one relay to do both.
You cannot just replace a standard flasher (hot wire type) relay with these as they burn out. You will need to reconfigure your wiring.
The downside is that the led flasher will not warn of bulb failure. The standard unit flashes faster when a bulb fails, alerting the driver.

INDY BIRD - 25/2/09 at 10:03 PM

no you dont as the leds pull less power you have to alter the relay or up the watts on existing bulbs,

it is like whe you have a bulb blow thats what it thinks ie not pulling enough power i put led sides on as said and no probs with it now after putting in 21w bulbs, obviously now pulling enough power, normally hazards will make lights work ok as pulls enough power with the extra light of the hazard switch,

hope that makes sense?????

copy of post from oanother site who helped me<

The issue with replacing bulbs with LEDs is the load they put on the circuit in that LEDs draw way less current than normal bulbs. A standard flasher unit works by using a bimetallic strip which will flash faster if less load is put on it - same situation as if one of the bulbs blows. I am intending on replacing some of mine with LEDs and bought one of these to get round this issue:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LED-Flasher-Relay ... 240%3A1318

It's a bit more expensive than messing around with bulb wattages (is that a word?) but it does the trick as I have tested it and is a direct replacement for the unit you already have.

Hope this helps

[Edited on 25/2/09 by INDY BIRD]

Paul TigerB6 - 25/2/09 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

A flasher relay is generally fitted between a permanently live feed and the your hazard switch (so the hazards work with the ignition off). A feed is also taken from the flasher relay to the ignition controlled indicator relay in your loom (so the indicators only work with ignition on). Both these circuits essentially supply a flashing feed to the hazard switch and indicator switch.

Picture makes more sense so have a look here under [documents], [12 fuse loom], [indicator circuit]. Purple is permanent live and white is switched live. Turning the ign on activates the relay and allows the feed from the flasher through to the indicator switch - make sense??

Not heard anything about burning out these relays - can you elaborate please Martin??

[Edited on 25/2/09 by Paul TigerB6]

tendoshingan - 26/2/09 at 10:15 AM

I suggested to a mate to put a single bulb in series, next to each side reapeater inside the engine bay.
Worked fine and was ok for SVA, saves messing about with relays and other electrics.

nitram38 - 26/2/09 at 12:25 PM

If you are going to all the bother of extra bulbs/resistors, then what is the point of led's in the first place?
You certainly aren't saving any energy!

Hellfire - 26/2/09 at 01:13 PM

Just beware if you use higher wattage bulbs. We fitted 21W bulbs in our side repeaters to negate fitting the electronic flasher relay. Use of the hazards recently has melted the side repeater lenses. We're about to buy and fit new side repeaters AND the electronic flasher relay to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Phil

Meeerrrk - 26/2/09 at 07:58 PM

i'm a bit confused about all this.

i got some nice led lamps & some resistors. fitted the lamps and work great (but flashed too quick) so i tried the resistors and it worked perfectly. So then i thought i'd get an electronic flasher (the one in the link above actually) but it has 3 connections. I've been reading this thread : fireblade forum - led indicators and it sounds like the fireblade electrics only have 2 wires.
would the above flaher relay be no good?

bigfoot4616 - 26/2/09 at 08:30 PM

the 3rd terminal will be an earth or for the dash warning light like on the cbs link. i carnt get the ebay link to work

unless you want to mess about with wiring have a look at your old relay and get one with the same terminals as that

[Edited on 26/2/09 by bigfoot4616]

Meeerrrk - 26/2/09 at 08:35 PM

ok so would the following be correct?

terminal 1 12v) switched ign feed
terminal 2 indicator switch) one of the wires from my loom (dont know the colours yet)
terminal 5 dash warning lamp) the other wire in my loom

?

Meeerrrk - 26/2/09 at 08:36 PM

the relay on the 954 is built into the dash clocks so i cant

bigfoot4616 - 26/2/09 at 08:48 PM

on the bike, but maybe not in your car.
i cant answer your previous question without knowing how it is wired. like i said you need to see what you have in there now

Meeerrrk - 26/2/09 at 08:51 PM

my car is wired exactly as it was in the bike (although extended the loom)

ie full bike clocks with full functionality and all standard wire colours etc

[Edited on 26/2/09 by Meeerrrk]

nitram38 - 26/2/09 at 08:55 PM

Remember to remove the resistors from your led's if you are using the electronic flasher.

Meeerrrk - 26/2/09 at 08:56 PM

yeah, good point although i only "gash" fitted them to try it.

do you have any input on my above question, ie, the wiring of the 3 pin relay?

nitram38 - 26/2/09 at 09:02 PM

I can't tell you the exact pins but they should be written on the unit.
1 pin is 12v+ input
2 pin is the flashing + output to your indicator/hazard switch
3 pin is for a tell tale lamp.

I have not used the flasher tell tale output as my dash (bright 6) has a left and right arrow indicator which I have connected on the outgoing side of the switch to each left/right indicator.

I'm using one flasher unit to supply both indicators and hazard. The only "downside" is that the indicators will work with the ignition off.

[Edited on 26/2/2009 by nitram38]

Meeerrrk - 26/2/09 at 09:12 PM

thanks. sorry for the questions...but....
so the 12v would be wired to a switched ign feed, and the other two would be to the two wires (grey and white/grey) which go to the relay which is mounted on the dash pcb?